Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sound Issues

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 BullitMagnet

BullitMagnet

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 24 July 2010 - 06:05 AM

Hi, I was recently bought a computer (HP Pavilion w5151.uk) which is an excellent machine, it came with no O.S so i have installed XP home edition and put all the relevent drivers on the system, however i cannot seem to get any audio, after installing the realtek HD driver for it, it seemed to have sound for a fraction of a second, but i can now no longer get even that!

i have now exhausted my know how when it comes to it all, and would like to know if anyone on here can help me?

if you need more information about what i have in my system, let me know as i am not sure what to really provide. I have read that updating to sp3 will most likely fix this, however according to hp's website, there is a serious flaw with doing so which i would rather avoid!

I have tried to install Microsofts UAA driver but that wont even finish so thats a bust. I have asked elsewhere but only got seriously non helpfull replys.

The motherboard that comes with this computer seems to be strange in that it has the same number as a few others which have different components, so i cant seem to get a propper chipset driver or any other drivers that relate specificaly to this board. the board is an Asus PTGD-LA (puffer 2) or at least thats what Everest tells me. however asus do not have anything on thier site for it and HP have only basic drivers for sound, which is NOT the HD sound at all, just the generic ac97, which i installed at first thinking it was the right drivers before poking a little deeper.

thanks to any of you that can help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Darth sidious

Darth sidious

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 PM

Posted 24 July 2010 - 06:51 AM

On older HP models the microsoft uaa driver needed installing first before any sound drivers so try uninstalling the sound drivers reboot the pc then install microsoft uaa driver and re-install the sound driver.

On the site link below under original drivers there is the ati chipset driver which should be installed first before any other drivers.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwar...ct=502347#N1992

Edited by Darth sidious, 24 July 2010 - 07:01 AM.

HP Compaq 6715b Notebook--AMD Turionx2 2.2Ghz 64 Mobile TL-64--4GB DDR2 667Mhz--Compaq 6715b--fujitsu siemens 500GB sataII Internal, Toshiba 1TB EXT HD Backup--IGP ATI Radeon x1250 128MB--Broadcom a\b\g Wlan adapter built in, Sonicwall TZ100, Dlink DSL 2740b--Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and linux ubuntu dual boot--Firefox 4.0 &IE8--Eset Firewall--Nod32 antivirus & Spyware Doctor--Malwarebytes anti malware.

#3 BullitMagnet

BullitMagnet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2010 - 07:00 AM

On older HP models the microsoft uaa driver needed installing first before any sound drivers so try uninstalling the sound drivers reboot the pc then install microsoft uaa driver and re-install the sound driver.

Ah right, LOL I will try that soon, had to unplug the new computer to come back to the old comp as i cant have both plugged in just yet. So all i do is go into the device manager, uninstall the sound drivers and reboot, that will make the computer not see that the drivers are there? as i have uninstalled them before and it automatically put them back, but i didnt reboot in between. I know i sound like a bit of a newbie but i really havent had to do anything like this before, usually my computers are ac97 compatible and thats it, never had an HD sound thing before

#4 Darth sidious

Darth sidious

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2010 - 07:05 AM

Hi no uninstall drivers from add/remove programs that will uninstall them properly and won't be reloaded on re-boot as with device manager uninstall.
HP Compaq 6715b Notebook--AMD Turionx2 2.2Ghz 64 Mobile TL-64--4GB DDR2 667Mhz--Compaq 6715b--fujitsu siemens 500GB sataII Internal, Toshiba 1TB EXT HD Backup--IGP ATI Radeon x1250 128MB--Broadcom a\b\g Wlan adapter built in, Sonicwall TZ100, Dlink DSL 2740b--Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and linux ubuntu dual boot--Firefox 4.0 &IE8--Eset Firewall--Nod32 antivirus & Spyware Doctor--Malwarebytes anti malware.

#5 Darth sidious

Darth sidious

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2010 - 07:39 AM

Just a side note the hardware for your sound doesn't support hd audio i believe unless you have upgraded the original sound hardware you will have to use the ac 97 audio not hd audio.

#6 BullitMagnet

BullitMagnet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2010 - 08:11 AM

Hi no uninstall drivers from add/remove programs that will uninstall them properly and won't be reloaded on re-boot as with device manager uninstall.

right, thanks :thumbsup: when i can set up the new computer i will let you know if it worked or not. It is infinately more help than i got of the other forum i asked the same question. :flowers:

#7 BullitMagnet

BullitMagnet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2010 - 08:13 AM

Just a side note the hardware for your sound doesn't support hd audio i believe unless you have upgraded the original sound hardware you will have to use the ac 97 audio not hd audio.

Umm, i already installed the ac97 drivers when i initially set the computer up, as HP said that was the driver was for it, so i installed it strait off thier site installed it and no sound.

#8 Darth sidious

Darth sidious

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2010 - 08:31 AM

Umm, i already installed the ac97 drivers when i initially set the computer up, as HP said that was the driver was for it, so i installed it strait off thier site installed it and no sound.

They are the drivers that you should install and will have any customisations that hp will have added to the original realtek drivers but are not hd audio the hardware needs to be higher def capable before using hd audio drivers installing incorrect drivers will lead to problems. That is why i asked you if you had upgraded the sound to a hd card.

Did you receive a drivers cd with the computer if you did installation of xp first then all the drivers starting with chipset drivers first then other drivers like graphics, then microsoft uaa driver before audio driver.

You could use realtek driver but youneed to know what model and model no of onboard soundcard and download the appropriate driver for that model.

#9 Neil B.

Neil B.

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 PM

Posted 24 July 2010 - 08:37 AM

I recommend installing SP3. I dont see why HP can justify advising its customers not to install it on a system with XP, that is just ridiculous. Number one, Microsoft has ended support for SP1, and and SP2.

If you have SP1 or SP2, the first thing you should do (if the above advise doesnt work, or even if it does) is install SP3. I had just worked on a system that was having dial up issues... the cause of the problem was that the machine was still running SP1.

Every computer that was built from 2001 to now, should support SP3. Did HP give a reason as to why they advised against it?

#10 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2010 - 08:52 AM

Neil B.,
I believe BullitMagnet is referring to the HP/AMD problem with SP3.
Check out this topic, paying attention to post numbers 2, 3, & 4.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#11 Neil B.

Neil B.

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2010 - 09:06 AM

No where in this topic does it mention a HP/AMD problem. But I am curious as to what the problem is?

#12 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2010 - 09:21 AM

Sorry, forgot the link to the topic I was referring to. :thumbsup:
Edited my above post to include it.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#13 Neil B.

Neil B.

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2010 - 09:25 AM

Just looked it up...

The problem is that HP, and possibly other OEMs, deploy the same image to Intel-based desktops that they do to AMD-based desktops. It also appears that this is unique to their desktop image, and any HP AMD-based laptops are unaffected by the problem. Because the image for both Intel and AMD is the same all have the intelppm.sys driver installed and running. That driver provides power management on Intel-based computers. On an AMD-based computer, amdk8.sys provides the same functionality. Microsoft points out in a Knowledge Base article that installing both drivers on the same computer is an unsupported configuration, putting the blame on the OEM that deploys the image. The article in question was written when the same problem occurred after installing Service Pack 2 for Windows XP.

Citation: http://msinfluentials.com/blogs/jesper/arc...ing-xp-sp3.aspx

Looks like an easy fix...

If you have an AMD-based computer, however, you do not need the intelppm driver and can disable it. Boot into Safe Mode by hitting the F8 key as above, but select Safe Mode instead. You will need your Administrator account to log on in safe mode. To disable the driver, take the following steps:

If you booted into the recovery console, from a command prompt, run "disable intelppm"

If you booted into safe mode you can run "sc config intelppm start= disabled"

If you booted into WinPE, you have to manually edit the registry. Do this:

Run regedit
Click on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
From the File menu, select "Load hive"
Navigate to %systemdriver%\Windows\System32\Config on the dead system and select the file name System
Name it something you can remember, such as "horked"
Navigate to horked\<the current control set>\Services\IntelPPM. See below for how to determine which one is the current control set.
Double click the Start value and set it to 4
If you did what I did and completely destroyed things by running a disk check, navigate to <the current control set>\Control\SessionManager. Open the BootExecute value and clear out the autochk entries
Reboot
Step 6 asks you to navigate to <the current control set>. Under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM there are typically at least two numbered control sets, and sometimes there are up to four. They are called ControlSet001, ControlSet002, and so on. Control sets hold all the configuration data for the computer, including all drivers that load. One of them is designated the current one, and the others are backups of previous configurations that worked. The control set that is currently used as the current one is the one listed in the "Current" value under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Select. That is the control set that you need to modify in step 6. If you modify one of the other control sets it will not solve the problem. You need to modify the current one. If you manage to boot the computer, CurrentControlSet will be a pointer to the current one and you can modify that one. If you boot from the recovery disk you have to figure out which one is the current to modify the proper one. It will not always be ControlSet001.

If this was your problem, the computer should now reboot just fine.

#14 Neil B.

Neil B.

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2010 - 09:27 AM

I still think having SP2 is the root of your sound problem.

#15 Neil B.

Neil B.

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2010 - 09:31 AM

I would also read that blog more... he goes into ways of preventing the computer from crashing BEFORE you install SP3 :thumbsup:

Edited by Neil B., 24 July 2010 - 09:31 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users