Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC randomly restarts or shuts down and won't reset

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

#1 Bramish

Bramish

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 AM

Posted 24 July 2010 - 03:39 AM

Hi,

I've been having a problem whereby my computer will reboot itself with no warning or error messages. Sometimes it will do it almost immediately after starting up, sometimes a few hours after and a couple of times even during startup. Today for example, after 12 hours of being switched off it restarted immediately after Windows began.

Sometimes, rather than restarting it will shut down but not restart, leaving me with a black screen that can't be rebooted without turning the power off and then back on. (Had this particular kind of failure once before which was fixed after removing Spybot, which I no longer use).

I don't think it's a heat problem since I often run it with the casing off and a fan directed at the machine.

Specs:

Windows XP Home SP3
Pentium 4 CPU 3.0GHz
1GB RAM
Radeon 9550 Graphics

I've tried running Super Anti-Spyware, Malware Bytes and AVG all from Safe Mode but it still persists.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 AM

Posted 24 July 2010 - 09:18 AM

Have you checked your device manager for errors relating to the reboots? Most of the time these are heat related issues but they can also be caused by general machine faults. How long has your PC been in operation? After long term use, meaning several years, I find Windows slows down considerably due to the bloat of registry leftovers from uninstalling various stuff. I could be time for a nice clean install if that is the case.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 AM

Posted 24 July 2010 - 12:55 PM

you still cant gets overheat problem...with the faq that you run it with the casing off and a fan directed at the machine...that was not guarantee that you will not have heat problem...
try to check you your temperature with a couple software...

have you get BSOD or not???

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#4 Bramish

Bramish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2010 - 05:26 AM

Have you checked your device manager for errors relating to the reboots? Most of the time these are heat related issues but they can also be caused by general machine faults. How long has your PC been in operation? After long term use, meaning several years, I find Windows slows down considerably due to the bloat of registry leftovers from uninstalling various stuff. I could be time for a nice clean install if that is the case.

It's been running about 3 years. I suppose it is pretty old but I just wanted to check for any other possible solutions.

you still cant gets overheat problem...with the faq that you run it with the casing off and a fan directed at the machine...that was not guarantee that you will not have heat problem...
try to check you your temperature with a couple software...

have you get BSOD or not???

Don't really understand this. What's BSOD?

#5 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 PM

Posted 28 July 2010 - 10:26 AM

Blue Screen Of Death.

#6 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 AM

Posted 28 July 2010 - 01:08 PM

on mainboard...there overheat autoshutdown features that will generate automatic shutdown/restart if your processor reach some level/degree heat...

BSOD = Blue Sreen Of Death...

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#7 Bramish

Bramish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2010 - 04:35 AM

No BSOD.

This is what is generally happening now. When I first try and start the computer it reaches Windows OK but after a couple of minutes will reboot. Then it reboots itself 5 or 6 times BEFORE Windows even starts. After 5 or 6 attempts it usually starts up OK and will then run fine indefinitely with no weird reboots. Very strange.

Can I post a HijackThis log or anything for you experts to analyse?

Cheers

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,276 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2010 - 08:03 AM

If you want to post a malware log (HJT is a malware tool and this is not a malware forum)...you need to read the following:

Preparation Guide, Before Using Malware Removal Tools and Requesting Help - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

Then, post your log (meeting the criteria specified) at Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/.

Please follow the administrative policies suggestions outlined at that forum, should you post a log.

Louis

#9 Bramish

Bramish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2010 - 08:57 AM

It's not that I want to - I just want this problem fixed and am not sure if it's Malware or something else. Any advice?

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,276 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2010 - 10:14 AM

You've received various suggestions from knowledgeable members...regarding what might be wrong and what might be done.

Repairing computer problems without hands-on...is, at best, a guessing game...a process of elimination.

You have either rejected or ignored many of the suggestions offered...

It seems to me that a clean install is the alternative which will at least provide some basis upon which to consider other possible issues...namely, those created by hardware problems.

Rebooting of a system can be caused frequently by overheating, by malware, by O/S problems, by malware. Based on what you have thus far reported...I cannot think of anything that I can suggest that hasn't already been suggested by someone.

Louis

#11 Bramish

Bramish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2010 - 01:09 PM

You have either rejected or ignored many of the suggestions offered...

It seems to me that a clean install is the alternative which will at least provide some basis upon which to consider other possible issues...namely, those created by hardware problems.

Rebooting of a system can be caused frequently by overheating, by malware, by O/S problems, by malware. Based on what you have thus far reported...I cannot think of anything that I can suggest that hasn't already been suggested by someone.

Louis

Well, to be fair, there were only a couple of suggestions offered, rather than many, which I appreciate, and which I neither rejected nor ignored - not sure what gave you that idea. Like I said, before doing a clean install I just wanted to check every other option.

When I had a similar problem once before and posted it here I got lots of suggestions and advice, and finally fixed the problem. I was requested to post a HijackThis log by a moderator which is the reason I brought it up this time.

Thanks though.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,276 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2010 - 02:42 PM

And...you were provided with proper instructions for procedures to be followed for posting a malware log in the appropriate forum.

If you have malware, there's not much more anyone can do about it in the XP forum (which is where we are).

Eliminate that from consideration...and maybe someone here will then have some suggestions other than possible overheating or possible hardware problems.

That's the way that I would approach it.

OTOH, if you just want a fast fix...clean install.

Troubleshooting issues is a bit tedious, I know...but every user needs to determine if the time/effort expended...outweighs the advantages of simply doing a clean install.

As for what occurred on your prior visits...you had a malware thread in Oct 09, an XP visit a year ago for a common registry problem that resulted in 42 posts...and I see that you posted a log today in our Malware Removal Logs forum.

Does that thread (the one posted today in Malware Removal Logs with the DDS log) relate to this system?

Louis

#13 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,011 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 AM

Posted 01 August 2010 - 08:44 PM

Hello,

Now that you have posted a log here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/336364/possible-malware/ you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a MRT Team member, nor should you ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show in the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the helper assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on the MRT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the MRT Team members are EXTREMELY busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the MRT Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another MRT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

Please be patient. It may take several days to get a response but your log will be reviewed and answered as soon as possible. I advise checking your topic once a day for responses as the e-mail notification system is unreliable.

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic. Good luck with your log.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users