Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Rootkit detection HELP!!!! MY FRIENDS COMPUTER!!!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 zortex

zortex

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 PM

Posted 24 July 2010 - 12:01 AM

hi well im new to bleeping computer and i have a rootkit in my friends computer (i think), but i installed all of the software so technically its my computer that he bought and hes looking to have it back soon. I have McAfee and Malwarebytes, but McAfee isnt detecting anything and MBAM has been "deactivated" by the virus. Like when i try to start MBAM, nothing happens. I'm assuming its a rootkit, because i scanned with MBAM a couple days ago when there wasnt this problem and there was nothing, but i knew there was still some sort of computer spyware. My computer is slower, sometimes when i try to click links on google search engine, it brings me to another weird site. But the site is different every time. The "logo" on the left of the URL is either a curly blue line or a green circle with lines in between. I got NoScript for my comp a few days ago, in the interest of trying to remove these viruses.

So i got a virus when i was on tvduck, and first it started out like nothing was going on. But then one day i went on yahoo answers and i got another virus on access scan alert from mcafee. Obviously yahoo answers is a reliable site, and there were no other pop-ups or any tabs. So do i have a backdoor created in my computer? And today i was on another site that never gave me viruses and i got another few trojans. So is this like a rootkit from a backdoor or something? How do i get rid of it? I know that MBAM is not effective against rootkits, but what are? PLEASE HELP this isnt my computer i borrowed it from my friend! THANKS!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 osaeed

osaeed

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 PM

Posted 24 July 2010 - 12:04 AM

Get into Safemode, turn off/restart the PC and keeping hammering the F8 button and choose safemode.

from there run malwarebytes and let us know.

#3 zortex

zortex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 PM

Posted 24 July 2010 - 01:31 PM

Get into Safemode, turn off/restart the PC and keeping hammering the F8 button and choose safemode.

from there run malwarebytes and let us know.

Well first of all i cannot get into safe mode because it says TRAP and EXCEPTION at the top and a bunch of other weird letters that i dont know after i choose safe mode.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users