Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hardrive Problems.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Bobby Dazzler

Bobby Dazzler

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 23 October 2005 - 10:34 AM

Hi All,

I've tried Googling all over the show to answer my problems but I cant find anything to solve it so I've popped along here for a little bit of advice and someone to talk to........ :thumbsup:
Anyways I want to keep this short so that the pro's can possibly point me in the right direction and ask the right questions otherwise as I am doing now I'll waffle on!
Ok my first 80GB Hitachi drive failed about 2 months ago. It was about 8 months old. I took it back to the shop and got a replacement unfortunately a like for like. After searching around I found that these hard drives are renowned for failing and possibly have a class action lawsuit chasing them. So far however the new one is working ok. I then bought a 160 GB Maxtor. This is were things started to go a little bit wrong. I installed it as per the Maxtor software and transferred over my OS and all seemed ok. I used the 80 GB then as my slave drive. In a matter of days the Maxtor drive (or I presumed it was) seemed to be clicking or at least loud and the hard drive light would stay on and the computer would pause for about 20 seconds. Sometimes I would get the error Cyclic redundancy check. I then transferred all my data over to my 80GB drive and ran all the diagnostic software Maxtor had and the drive popped up clean. So I started to use the hard drive again and yes the problems started again. On one of the diagnostic tests it said that it had found faults that needed to be corrected and so I let it do its thing. I then decided to phone Maxtor and the fella said perhaps the IDE cable was bad so I changed that and he also suggested a Low Level Format which I did also. Further I have changed the power supply to a 550Watt and also I now have a new motherboard but still at times the system pauses and the hard drive light stays on. I have the hard drives both set as Cable select on an 80 Pin IDE cable as I was told that they will both figure out which is the Master and Slave because of the cable position. The only problem I can see and thats from lookin this morning is that I have my DVD RW and DVD Rom drives on an 80 Pin IDE Cable and again both of them set as Cable select. Could this be confusing my IDE controller in some way or should I just take the Maxtor drive back? If I did take it back what could I tell them because if they run the software as I have done then it will show the drive is clean.

Any suggestions,

Chris
:flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,389 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 PM

Posted 24 October 2005 - 09:33 PM

Personally, I never use the cable select. In my experience it has the chance of not being configured right. For IDE drives, you are better off always setting one as a master and the other as a slave.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users