Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A Plethora of Problems

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ctsmeouwow

ctsmeouwow

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 23 July 2010 - 06:47 PM

Hello all. My cup runneth over with pc issues on my roommate's laptop. The laptop is a HP Pavilion dv6226 running Vista. It hasn't been used in about a month and for anything other than playing offline games, which work fine. Tried to access the internet last night and IE (I can't tell if it's 7 or 8) won't even open.

When the laptop boots up, none of the startup files (looks like all .exe files) are using any amount of CPU. I tried running system restore, but that just opens a window with nothing in it other than on the side panel where you can switch to classic view.

I tried checking network connections but that too brings up another empty box except for the title. There are no links to click on. I can't access the CMD from the console...nothing happens when you click it. The laptop is wireless but I tried using an ethernet cord too and still nothing.

I tried downloading Window's malicious software tool onto a cd from my desktop and the laptop will identify it on the drive but will not open it, nothing happens.

I can open pictures. Adobe and word are also working.

Does any of this sound familiar to anyone? I'm at a loss. I'm not a complete computer novice but I am far from any expert.

I will check back often in case there are any questions. I really appreciate any help. Thank you very much,

Carole

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,617 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 PM

Posted 23 July 2010 - 08:25 PM

With the information you have provided I believe you will need help from the malware removal team. I would like you to start a new thread and post a DDS log HERE and include a link to this thread. Please make sure that you read the information about getting started before you start your thread.

It would be helpful if you post a note here once you have completed the steps in the guide and have started your topic in malware removal. Good luck and be patient. Help is on the way!

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 ctsmeouwow

ctsmeouwow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 23 July 2010 - 09:10 PM

I just took a look at the info you provided and my head is spinning but I will be patient. I don't know how to create a dds log...but I assume I can find that info somewhere?

I have only skimmed the info you presented but I did notice one part about turning on the firewall. I can't access that either. Will that be a problem?

I'll have my roommate start creating backups for whatever she can't live without tonight and then peruse (and follow) the rest of your instructions with a fresh mind tomorrow. Thank you very much. We really do appreciate the help.

Carole

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,617 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 PM

Posted 23 July 2010 - 09:27 PM

Your best option is to create new topic in malware forum, post what you can and if you run into any issues, simply ask malware guys.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users