Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

local-loopback-device?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 gaelic123

gaelic123

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 PM

Posted 06 October 2004 - 03:09 PM

I have both a Linksys router and a Norton Internet Security firewall engaged which I thought was the ultimate in firewall protection but lately I've been getting an intrusion warning from my Norton Internet security firewall with information that says that IP address 127.0.0.1 was the source of the intrusion attempt. When I click on further information it says that a computer on my network made the attempt. Since I only have one computer, I don't understand this. When I googled IP 127.0.0.1 it came up as a local-loopback-device. Excuse my ignorance, but I don't understand what that means. These intrusion alerts only started to occur very recently. I hadn't had any alerts since I installed the Linksys router.

Is this something I should be concerned about? If so what steps should I take?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Mary
Dell XPS 933Mhz processor, 256 RAM, Windows98se, Linksys Cable/DSL Router,
Norton Internet Security Anti-Virus & Firewall, Adaware, Spybot Search & Destroy, Spywareblaster, Spyware Guard

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,640 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 06 October 2004 - 04:20 PM

What exactly is the alert you are getting?

The loopback device is essentially your computer. It was created for diagnostics purposes so that you can test TCP applications against your own computer by connecting to 127.0.0.1

#3 gaelic123

gaelic123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 PM

Posted 06 October 2004 - 07:28 PM

I'm getting a red exclamation mark on the Norton Internet Security (firewall) icon on the items on my quick launch toolbar.

It is an alert that an intrusion has been attempted.

Before I installed the Linksys router I would get this signal and by clicking on it I was able to get the IP address of the attempted intruder. As I said earlier, I haven't seen any alerts until very recently and when I try to get information on the alert I get the same IP address (127.0.0.1) which the Norton Internet Security program identifies as being part of my network, but I only have one computer.

Sorry if I'm not making myself clear.

Mary
Dell XPS 933Mhz processor, 256 RAM, Windows98se, Linksys Cable/DSL Router,
Norton Internet Security Anti-Virus & Firewall, Adaware, Spybot Search & Destroy, Spywareblaster, Spyware Guard

#4 TedOb1

TedOb1

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2004 - 01:06 PM

Norton and most others like to validate your having their product by labeling everything that's blocked as an intrusion attempt. this doesn't mean that it is one.

many software products have a local server with which it communicates with its different modules or other software on your computer. '127.0.0.1' IS your computer.

i donít have a computer running norton internet security handy but if i recall correctly there are two columns each with two check boxes. One column for internet and one for local. Sounds to me like you have something dis-allowed locally that needs too or would like to communicate locally using TCP. Not that you should necessarily allow it. It just depends on what it is.

Check your applications configuration and see what you have blocked locally. If its something you want blocked see if Norton gives you the option to notify/not notify and just stop the alerting for that event.

#5 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,577 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2004 - 04:17 PM

I, too, wonder about this loopback alert. EZ firewall (aka Zone Alarm ??, came free with the laptop) reports it when I send mail using Outlook.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users