Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Aspect ratio (or video size) in Movie Maker

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 ILoveSebby

ILoveSebby

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 PM

Posted 23 July 2010 - 06:20 PM

I'm trying to make a movie in Movie Maker but I'm having a hard time with it. One scene is one size and the next scene is another size (or ratio) and I was wondering what would be a good way for my newbie self to resize all of the clips I am going to use to be the exact same size and look the same way (if possible) without losing too much quality.

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 AM

Posted 24 July 2010 - 07:28 AM

I have limited experience with Windows Movie Maker, others may help you there.

If it is purely a matter of resizing video clips, the following 2 freeware programs
allow you to input your videos and output them in the ratios you choose.

Can't say I've ever noticed any particular degradation in quality.

Any Video Converter

http://www.any-video-converter.com/products/for_video_free/

SUPER

http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html

#3 ILoveSebby

ILoveSebby
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2010 - 08:26 AM

Thanks for a reply.

As an example, these are two screenshots of the WMM window of Scene 1:
Posted Image

and Scene 2:
Posted Image

They're way different screen sizes. Fortunately I have SUPER, but I'm not good with it. Would you be able to tell me some good settings to use to get Scene 2 to look like Scene 1 without making it look weird?

#4 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2010 - 08:41 AM

Are these photos or the start of video clips.

Look at the properties of the first which gives you the size and then convert the second
to the same width and height.

The settings in Super allow you to pick the width and height / ratio, if you are talking about video clips.

320.240 is a reasonable size, 4.3 aspect, 25fps, or you can select no change,
look at the first photo/clip for the info required for the second.
You may prefer larger dimensions.

#5 ILoveSebby

ILoveSebby
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2010 - 06:37 PM

I took these screenshots by hitting the printscrn button and cropped them to show what each scene looks like as far as their size difference.

For some reason it's not working though. It did great as far as making it the same height and not making it look weird but it still will not stretch the screen as far as width (even if I change the widge around a bit, encode it again and try it that way). It still comes out like this:

Posted Image

#6 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2010 - 01:31 AM

Are these photos or the start of video clips.

It would be helpful if you answered the question - it is relevant.

Are you putting pictures into Movie Maker, referring to each picture as a scene, or do you have there 2 movie clips,
which you are importing as 'scenes'.

I am not following you. You did not have a full face picture/video to start with, so how do you expect to stretch the
screen to include a full face shot. Excuse my ignorance, please enlighten me. :thumbsup:

#7 ILoveSebby

ILoveSebby
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2010 - 03:30 PM

I answered your question as best as I could - I said I used the print screen button.

I played the first scene, paused it and took a screenshot of the preview to show what it looks like. I did that again with the second scene and I did it again with that final image that I just previously posted to show that it still did not stretch after being edited with SUPER. Those are full on clips that I just paused to show you what the clips look like as far as size/aspect ratio.

Edited by ILoveSebby, 25 July 2010 - 03:30 PM.

#8 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2010 - 08:00 AM

Thank you, now you have confirmed that we are talking about 2 video clips, that's all I wanted to know.

Can I ask how the second clip plays on its own in, say, Windows Media Player, or whatever player
you use. Are you getting a full face video there.

Bear with me, I'm trying to get to the crux of the problem; no offence intended, if that's how you
read my post.

#9 ILoveSebby

ILoveSebby
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2010 - 04:47 PM

Well, adding on to the problem we had before of it not stretching across the screen properly - I opened this with Windows Media Player. Scene one was great, scene two (the one that I had to try converting with SUPER and it didn't stretch good enough) looks like this:

Posted Image

(But to answer the question, no, it still looks the same as it was when previewed in WMM)

Edited by ILoveSebby, 26 July 2010 - 04:47 PM.

#10 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 PM

Posted 26 July 2010 - 04:54 PM

@ILoveSebby

Irrespective of the aspect ratios(res) of both clips, the final output will feature the aspect ratio you choose, right before you export the movie.

scene two (the one that I had to try converting with SUPER and it didn't stretch good enough) looks like this
Stretching either an image or a video beyond the original resolution, isn't going to produce good results.
It would be best to bring down the overall resolution, to make it clearer.

Edited by ReviverSoft, 26 July 2010 - 04:57 PM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#11 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2010 - 08:38 PM

Well, you've lost me now, ILS

As regards Scene 2, the second movie clip, did you ever have a 'full face' video to start with.

Edited by petewills , 26 July 2010 - 08:45 PM.

#12 ILoveSebby

ILoveSebby
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2010 - 04:58 PM

RS < So I should just lower the resolution anyway, even though it won't come out being the same size as the clip I'm trying to resize it close to?

petewills < Yes, it was full face. :\

#13 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2010 - 05:32 PM

Yes, please add both clips to the timeline/storyboard, make the necessary changes and 'Export' the movie.

At this stage, you should get a bunch of options (resolutions, formats etc.), where you need to choose the "best" setting for the "final output" and proceed with the process.

Movie Maker should save the entire movie with the settings you have selected.

#14 ILoveSebby

ILoveSebby
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2010 - 05:18 PM

That didn't work either.

Upon publishing the movie I chose the option "Best Quality for playback on my computer." When I opened it to play, it looked exactly the same as up above (scene one was widescreen, scene two fullscreen but there was space between the end of the screen and the video on each side).

So I tried another setting: Windows Media DVD Widescreen Quality. The first scene came out fine-widescreen. The second scene came out like this when watched in fullscreen:

Posted Image

#15 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2010 - 07:48 PM

^ I'm afraid that can't be helped, unless you use a powerful video-editing tool to crop the particular sections of the video clip(scenes), to meet your requirements.

The other option would be to use video clips of the same resolution, to produce a uniform video/movie.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users