Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Get 'Wireless not currently enabled' Trying To Create Ad Hoc Network

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 RAPHelp

RAPHelp

• Members
  • 164 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 PM

Posted 23 July 2010 - 06:11 PM

Ultimate goal is to share a USB printer with a laptop here at home.

Saw an article in 'How-To-Geek' about using an AD Hoc network but when I attempted to 'Add a Wireless Network' an error (Wireless not currently enabled) resulted. Now, I was on my desktop (which has a NIC card and is attached to a wireless router - via RJ45). Do I also need a wireless adapter for the desktop ? (Thought the wireless router was enough!)

If wireless adapter is needed that explains why I haven't been able to set up a 'homegroup wireless network' that the laptop sees. (Both laptop and desktop are Win 7.)

I used the modem output as input to the router and the laptop sees the Internet ... and the desktop connects to the router (wired), so it too 'sees' the Internet.

If I do attach a wireless adapter to the desktop, will it interfere with the 'wired Internet' connection ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2010 - 01:11 AM

You do not need to do an ad-hoc setup. You just need to share the printer, get the drivers installed on the laptop and then configure the settings for it to connect to the printer through your wireless router. Much easier =)

Try googling Printer sharing Windows 7

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 RAPHelp

RAPHelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 164 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2010 - 12:58 PM

Thank you

Have set printer to be shared.

Created a 'homegroup' but it is NOT seen at laptop. Only thing laptop 'sees' is a network named: linksys (that's the brand of the router). Have even tried hard wiring laptop to router (so both desktop and laptop are wired) but no 'homegroup' is seen at laptop even though one is 'defined' in desktop.

Again, is it sufficient to only have a wireless router connected to the desktop? Will the router send the wireless 'signal' for the homegroup network? Is there a problem with it interfering with the 'linksys' network.

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2010 - 07:26 PM

As long as the PC is connected to the router and the laptop connects to the router that is all that is needed. I have little experience with Win 7 but if I remember correctly...you create the homegroup on 1 and join it from the other. But there could be a ton of permissions you have to deal with because Win 7 is a pain in the butt about permissions. So my suggestion would be to read up on the homegroup thing and how it works. This is one of the reasons ASAP I am switching to Linux and Mac, now that I don't play online games Windows is no longer needed =)

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 RAPHelp

RAPHelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 164 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2010 - 10:04 PM

Have read quite a bit - haven't seen permissions that haven't been set.

Deleted what I had and started over ... created new homegroup ... win said successful (gave me security code to use when joining from other PC) ... rebooted laptop and went to 'choose homegroups and sharing options' ... but it did not recognize any homegroups (thus did not give me the option of joining).

#6 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 24 July 2010 - 10:36 PM

Best bet delete the homegroup and forget about it. You do not need it to share a printer in Win7. simply share the installed printer on the desktop. Add a printer on the laptop using a network printer. You may need to do some tweaking to the firewalls in order to get the two computers to share nicely.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#7 RAPHelp

RAPHelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 164 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2010 - 11:35 PM

hmmmmmmmmmmm - i''ll try it

#8 RAPHelp

RAPHelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 164 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2010 - 01:03 AM

Network printer doesn't work!

Don't understand - at laptop (running Win 7) : can connect to network which has Internet line BUT when Ping the desktop get time-out BUT can Ping itself ... (and can't Ping XP laptop - see below)

at desktop can Ping everyone else but not my laptops.

Have another laptop (with XP) ... connects to network with Internet ... can Ping self and desktop but cannot Ping Win 7 laptop.

Does that mean the wireless adapter in Win 7 laptop is bad? Son has an extra USB wireless adapter so I'll try that in 2 weeks (out of town next week).

Yet can connect to network with Internet.

Or is it a firewall issue (have PCTOOLS Firewall Plus)?

Setup: cable-> modem -> wireless router -> hard-wired to desktop
router wireless to Win 7 laptop and XP laptop

Edited by RAPHelp, 25 July 2010 - 01:13 AM.

#9 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2010 - 08:34 AM

If you can't even ping back and forth freely then yes its most likely a firewall issue =)

Lower the permissions then disable it, if you can ping all around then try the printer. If it works you have your answer. Which could have been the issue all along.

When networking anything, always disable all security measures till you have the connection you want then add them back one at a time, checking the connection each time you add.

#10 RAPHelp

RAPHelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 164 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2010 - 02:55 PM

Success !!

I have finally returned home and have my wife's laptop here to test with.

I removed PCTOOLS Firewall Plus from both desktop and laptop.

I created a homegroup on desktop (alreadiy having set printer to be shared).

Laptop 'sees' printer and can access it. PING works from desktop and also from laptop.

Bottom line: it was the firewall ... I searched the PCTOOLS Firewall forum and saw several posts - revealing that several complicated (maybe even unnatural) things had to be done to the firewall before homegroups would work.

My choice (for the present at least) was to removed PCTOOLS Firewall and use (shudder) the Windows Firewall (and in the future replace my circa 2003 router with one that has firewall firmware built in .... so I'd have 2 firewalls - that could co-exist).

Thank you for the assistance.

This issue is RESOLVED.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users