Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Norton

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 colin

colin

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 PM

Posted 23 October 2005 - 06:36 AM

I recently ugraded my Norton Secutrity to the Norton Internet Security 2006 package.

All went well and the progamme is correctly installed - a large green tick at the foot the screen and a popup message tells me this every time that I log on.

But, it then told me that there was an outbreak alert for two viruses. When I press the "protect me" button it then tells me that it can't protect me!!! The message leads to the Norton website which recommmends that something called the Norton automated assistant is installed. Every time I try to do this my system crashes.

Anyone else had this problem?

(moderator edit: thread moved to more appropriate forum. jgweed)

Edited by jgweed, 30 October 2005 - 09:56 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,667 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2005 - 09:31 PM

What viruses is it saying its finding? I am not that familiar with norton internet security, other than that I hear more negatives than positives about it.

#3 colin

colin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2005 - 09:27 AM

HI Grinler

None at all actually - I've run a full scan twice and it says there are no viruses.

I think its just an installation error.

Looks like I'm going to have to uninstall/reinstall.

Sigh..............................what a pain in the a...%"!

:thumbsup:

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,667 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2005 - 09:22 PM

Do you have all the windows updates installed? It may be checking to see you have certain updates installed that can protect you from known worms out there.

#5 colin

colin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2005 - 06:05 PM

Hi

Yes - fully up to date with all windows service packs and updates.

A funny thing happened though. Just after my last entry I noticed that my Norton program had gone into what it calls a "learning" mode. What actually happened is that a small yellow Norton globe icon sits in the system tray and, whilst it was not picking up the outbreak alert, this was flashing with a red exclamation mark. Now it has stopped flashing and has small blue cross on it. The main Norton icon still has the big green tick telling me me that its correctly installed.

Geez...!!

I don't know whether its running correctly or not. :thumbsup:

#6 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,667 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2005 - 11:07 PM

I wish I could tell you what to do on this one. NIS has been nothing but problems for a lot of members of this site.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users