Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to boot into anything but safe mode

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 rasp1

rasp1

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 PM

Posted 23 July 2010 - 12:11 PM

Hello,

My name is Jay,

Yesterday I had a maleware attack (I am sorry I don't remember which "virus scanner" one) I proceeded to shut my computer down and re boot into safe mode. After that I ran malewarebytes and removed everything to the best of my ability. Upon rebooting I am unable to boot back into anything but safe mode, every other boot option just hangs and reboots.

I am writing this from my laptop, since I am unable to connect to the internet via my other pc (network connections deleted).

Windows XP
Prof.
Version 2002
SP 3

Appreciate any help.

Thank You,

Jay

Edited by hamluis, 23 July 2010 - 01:21 PM.
Moved from XP to Am I Infected forum ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rasp1

rasp1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 PM

Posted 24 July 2010 - 09:11 PM

I am now able to access the internet on my affected desktop. However I am still unable to boot into anything but safe mode. Each attempt to boot reboots right at the Windows screen then takes me to several options. 3 safe mode options, 1 start windows normally option, and 1 last good configuration option. The only option which brings me to windows is the safe mode choices. The other options simply start the reboot loop.

In addition I am unable to access the windows update page, each time I try to load it on internet explorer I receive an web browser error.

I have no Windows XP disc.

Appreciate any help.

#3 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 27 July 2010 - 10:26 PM

Try downloading and using the SUPERAntiSpyware Portable Scanner. Save the randomly named file (i.e. SAS_1710895.COM) to a usb drive or CD and transfer to the infected computer. Then double-click on it to launch and scan. The file is randomly named to help keep malware from blocking the scanner.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users