Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Quick Q re: the preparation guide

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 Anaya

Anaya

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 AM

Posted 23 July 2010 - 11:34 AM

I am trying to follow the preparation guide for using the Malware removal tools, and when i tried to turn on the Windows firewall, I got a message box from my Norton Antivirus indicating that it would prefer to keep using its own firewalls becuase they are superior. So at the moment, the Norton firewall is still active. Should I go ahead and disable it and let the Windows firewall handle it for this process?

Thanks,
Anaya

PS - the redirects have gotten so bad on my computer I can't even complete school projects anymore - i can't do the research!

Edited by Blade Zephon, 23 July 2010 - 10:00 PM.
Moved from Logs forum to Bleeping Computer Announcements, Comments, & Suggestions. ~BZ

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,704 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 AM

Posted 23 July 2010 - 10:02 PM

Hi Anaya.

You may use any firewall you wish. We only ask that you get a firewall running if you are able to. If Norton's is running, then you can move to the next step.

Hope that helps.

~Blade

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#3 Anaya

Anaya
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2010 - 07:58 PM

yes, thanks, totally helps. I am still working through the steps...hoping to post with my actual problem soon! oh boy!

#4 Anaya

Anaya
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2010 - 09:05 PM

ugh, i have no idea what i'm doing. I posted a note saying that i couldn't run the dds thing, but then some logs popped up and I saved them, and now i thought i could erase this post, but i don't know how, so i apologize, and i am going back to the preparation guide now.

Edited by Blade Zephon, 26 July 2010 - 09:32 PM.
Merged new topic with original topic on prep guide questions :)

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,595 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 AM

Posted 27 July 2010 - 09:40 AM

Your log is posted here.

Now that your log is posted, you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a Malware Response Team member, nor should you continue to ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show it the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the member assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on the Malware Response Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic until you are cleared by the Malware Response Team. If you still need assistance after your log has been reviewed and you have been cleared, please PM me or another moderator and we will re-open this topic.

Good luck with your log.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users