Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue screen of death 0x7E (0xc5...) dmio.sys -

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 bro.ozz

bro.ozz

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 AM

Posted 23 July 2010 - 10:53 AM

I was browsing the internet and some type of pop up came up on my browser asking to scan my infected computer. I clicked out of internet explorer and attempted to restart my computer. When it began to restart I received the blue sceen of death. I have tried starting in safe mode, last know configuration and I can't get past the blue screen...the blue screen says

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down....

At the bottom of the message I see

Technical information:
*** STOP: 0x000000007E (0xc0000005, 0xf830fbd5d, 0xf8895524, 0xf8895220)

*** dmio.sys - Address F830fb5d base at F82ed000, DateStamp 4802549d

I have no idea where to go from here.

Thank You

Edited by hamluis, 23 July 2010 - 11:57 AM.
Moved from XP to Am I Infected ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thcbytes

thcbytes

• Malware Response Team
  • 14,790 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 AM

Posted 23 July 2010 - 03:29 PM

Are you still there? Do you still desire help? Do you have a Windows XP install disc?
Proud member - Unified Network of Instructors and Trained Eliminators
Posted Image

I do not accept personal donations for assistance provided. I would ask that you instead consider donating the greatest gift - Organ Donation. Your organs are of no use to you when your gone. You will save a life that would otherwise be lost!

http://donatelife.net/register-now/

#3 bro.ozz

bro.ozz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2010 - 06:45 AM

Sorry I am here now.

I still need help. I can not find my install CD, just recently moved. Any suggestions? thank you for your help in advanced.

#4 thcbytes

thcbytes

• Malware Response Team
  • 14,790 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2010 - 07:17 AM

Hi,

Some very important questions.
  • Have you ever run Combofix before?
  • Is your OS Windows XP?
  • Do you have access to a Windows XP disc?

Please download ARCDC from Artellos.com.
  • Double click ARCDC.exe
  • Follow the dialog until you see 6 options. Please pick: Windows Professional SP2 & SP3
  • You will be prompted with a Terms of Use by Microsoft, please accept.
  • You will see a few dos screens flash by, this is normal.
  • Next you will be able to choose to add extra files. Select the Default Files.
  • The last window will allow you to burn the disk using BurnCDCC
Your ISO is located on your desktop.

Next...
  • Insert the CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.

• If your PC is not booting from the CD, you need to change the boot order:
    • Restart your PC
    • As soon as you get an image, press the Setup key. This is usually F2, or Del. On some machines the key can also be a different one. It should, however, be stated on the screen which key is the setup key.
    • Once you enter the computer's BIOS, use the arrow keys and tab key to move between elements. Press enter to select an item to change.
    • Navigate to the tab, where you can set the boot order. It should be called Boot or Boot order
    • The tab should now show your current boot order.
      If the CD-drive is not at the top, please navigate to the CD-Rom drive with the keys arrows. Then move it to the top of the list. The keys for switching boot position are usually + to move up and - to move down. However they can be different, but they should be stated in the help, so that you can find them easily.
    • Once the CD-drive is on top of the boot order, navigate to Exit and select Exit saving changes.
  • Your PC should now boot from your CD.
    Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted.

• When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.

• If you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

• A command prompt will open
  • Type the green bolded one line at a time and press Enter after entering each line.

chkdsk /r
fixboot

Type...

exit

....and press Enter.

Reboot.

Success?

Thanks,
~t
Posted Image

I do not accept personal donations for assistance provided. I would ask that you instead consider donating the greatest gift - Organ Donation. Your organs are of no use to you when your gone. You will save a life that would otherwise be lost!

#5 bro.ozz

bro.ozz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2010 - 06:26 AM

T,

To answer your questions, yes I have run a Combofix under direction from bleepingcomputer.com staff, my OS is Windows XP and no I have not been able to locate a disc.

I did what you told me and had a couple issues.

First in the welcome setup I did not have the ability to press R. I had the option to push F6 in order to install multiple drivers or a RAID driver.

With that I never came to a command prompt and never was able to enter chdsk/r fixboot.

Eventually during the booting up process I came to another blue screen although this time a different error was reported.

the error was 0x07B (0xF898c524, 0xC00034, 0x0, 0x0)

any suggestions?

Thank you for your time

#6 thcbytes

thcbytes

• Malware Response Team
  • 14,790 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2010 - 07:10 AM

Try this next...

Let's see if we can get the Recovery Console that you installed along with Combofix to restore us...
WindowsXP-KB310994-SP2-Pro-BootDisk-ENU.exe
[boot loader]
timeout=2
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
c:\cmdcons\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" /cmdcons
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Media Center Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
You do indeed have the Recovery Console installed! thumbup2.gif

Please save the following instructions into Notepad and print it out as this webpage would not be available when you're carrying out the process.

Restart your computer
Before Windows loads, you will be prompted to choose which Operating System to start.
Pay attention it flashes quick.
Use the up and down arrow key to select Microsoft Windows Recovery Console.
You must enter which Windows installation to log onto. Type 1 and press enter.
At the C:\Windows prompt, type the following bolded text, and press Enter:

cd erdnt\hiv-backup

At the next prompt, type the following bolded text, and press Enter:

batch erdnt.con

The erunt backups will begin copying.

exit

Windows will now begin loading.
Success?

If not then please re-boot the RC and try these commands...

chkdsk /r

then press Enter....

fixboot

then press Enter

Type Exit and press Enter to re-boot

Success?

Posted Image

#7 bro.ozz

bro.ozz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2010 - 12:46 PM

T,

No go, I try to load Windows via Recovery console and I come to a black screen with a cursor in the upper left screen but am unable to type anything. Thanks for your time.

#8 thcbytes

thcbytes

• Malware Response Team
  • 14,790 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2010 - 12:59 PM

Are you absolutely certain you do not have a Windows XP disc available to you? With it I can guide you how to burn a boot disc that you can use to recover the data on your drive and probably get booting successfully again.

Worse case scenario I will have you boot a small Linux boot disc and we can recover your data but this won't help us get you booting.

Get a pencil and paper. Re-boot and pay very close attention. Write down in sequential order exactly what is displayed on your screen. I mean everything!

Thanks,
~ t
Posted Image

#9 bro.ozz

bro.ozz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2010 - 06:44 AM

T,

During boot up...

1- The Dell logog screen pops up, upper right corner notice to press F2 or F12. The BIOS loads from left to right.

2- A black screen in the upper left corner cursor is there then PBR.2 appears..done for just a second or two.

3- Start up Windows option to start the Recovery console or normal setup of windows XP media center edition

4- We apologize.... give different options to startup computer
Safe Mode; Safe Mode with networking; Safe Mode with command prompt; last known good
configuration; or start up windows normally. this screen has a count down timer in the
bottom line giving 25 seconds to select an option.

No matter what option that is chosen the Blue error screen appears 0x7E etc..

Hope this helps, again thank you for your time. I am looking into getting a windows XP disc.

#10 thcbytes

thcbytes

• Malware Response Team
  • 14,790 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2010 - 10:14 AM

Thanks for the detailed feedback. I know that was arduous.

==========

I am looking into getting a windows XP disc.
thumbup2.gif

==========

Let's create a bootable RC...

Please download ARCDC from Artellos.com.
  • Double click ARCDC.exe
  • Follow the dialog until you see 6 options. Please pick: Windows Professional SP2 & SP3
  • You will be prompted with a Terms of Use by Microsoft, please accept.
  • You will see a few dos screens flash by, this is normal.
  • Next you will be able to choose to add extra files. Select the Default Files.
  • The last window will allow you to burn the disk using BurnCDCC
Your ISO is located on your desktop.

==========

Restart the computer.

If your PC is not booting from the CD, you need to change the boot order:
  • As soon as you get an image, press the Setup key. This is usually F2, or Del. On some machines the key can also be a different one. It should, however, be stated on the screen which key is the setup key.
  • Once you enter the computer's BIOS, use the arrow keys and tab key to move between elements. Press enter to select an item to change.
  • Navigate to the tab, where you can set the boot order. It should be called Boot or Boot order
  • The tab should now show your current boot order.
  • If the CD-drive is not at the top, please navigate to the CD-Rom drive with the keys arrows. Then move it to the top of the list. The keys for switching boot position are usually + to move up and - to move down. However they can be different, but they should be stated in the help, so that you can find them easily.
  • Once the CD-drive is on top of the boot order, navigate to Exit and select Exit saving changes.
Your PC should now boot from your RC-Iso.
Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted.

When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.

When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

A command prompt will open
Type the bolded one line at a time and press Enter after entering each line.

cd erdnt\hiv-backup

batch erdnt.con

The erunt backups will begin copying.

exit

Windows will now begin loading.
Success?

If not then please re-boot the RC and try these commands...

chkdsk /r

then press Enter....

fixboot

then press Enter

Type Exit and press Enter to re-boot

Success?
Posted Image

#11 thcbytes

thcbytes

• Malware Response Team
  • 14,790 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2010 - 10:19 PM

Due to the lack of feedback this Topic is closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please request this by sending the moderating team a PM with the address of the thread. This applies only to the original topic starter.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users