Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System 32 file deleted called hal.dll

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 milesvavis

milesvavis

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 23 July 2010 - 09:59 AM

Hopefully someone can help soon, by the way it's not my computer it's my mom's laptop, she apparently let someone install windows 8 and it some how corrupted system 32, I've never had to deal with this cause I never made a mistake like this.

I do not have a Windows XP boot cd, or any boot cd, just my computer.

Edited by milesvavis, 23 July 2010 - 10:02 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 AM

Posted 23 July 2010 - 10:12 AM

Windows 8?

That's not even an authorized MS Windows beta...let alone something fit for install, IMO...I suspect that a clean install of the legitimate version of Windows will be necessary.

Louis

#3 milesvavis

milesvavis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 23 July 2010 - 10:25 AM

Thanks louis, but at the moment that is my moms last resort, she has a bunch of important work files on there, and basically all I need to know is how to backup the files before a fresh install, is there any way I can do this?

#4 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 PM

Posted 23 July 2010 - 11:42 AM

you cant attached your hardrive on an another working computer or using linux live cd...just to back up your data...

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 AM

Posted 23 July 2010 - 12:02 PM

As stated...remove the hard drive from her system, attach it to your system...move the data files from one to the other.

You can attach directly to motherboard or use some sort of USB-connected device/caddy for this.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users