Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Task Mgr, IE Explorer, SpyBot won't launch; Logoff will not complete

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 alhenton

alhenton

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 AM

Posted 23 July 2010 - 08:36 AM

Hello. I thought I'd try here to get some help for a problem before I re-install the OS. I have a laptop running Vista Home (32 bit). It was re-installed due to file corruption about a month ago. The symptoms occurring now are:

1. Logoff/Shut Down will not complete - it acts as if a process is running and will not complete.
2. Task Manager will launch, but only to icon in toolbar. Can't get TM window to open so I can see the processes.
3. IE Explorer will launch but hangs.
4. SpyBot will not launch.
5. Wireless network indicator in toolbar indicates no connection, although certain apps can connect (such as MalWareBytes).
6. Have run Wireless Diagnostic from Control Panel - it shows no errors.

I am able to perform some tasks - Windows Explorer, MalWareBytes.

I have loaded MalWareBytes from a flash drive and applied updates. It has not detected anything.

I cannot access the Internet via IE Explorer or Firefox. I can download apps on another computer and move them to the troubled laptop via a Flash drive. I also have a Vista Repair CD and can boot into it if necessary.

Booting into Safe Mode just shows a black screen with "Safe Mode" in each corner.

That's about it. Any ideas? I am not opposed to re-installing Vista again, but am curious as to what is going on.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 alhenton

alhenton
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2010 - 12:06 PM

Update: used a different utility instead of Task Manager, and it shows dwm (Desktop Windows Manager) not responding. Problem could lie there. Last night I was able to launch and run Spybot. Nothing except cookies found. This morning, can't get it to run again. Basically, programs launch and hang.

Also tried changing display parameters, etc, to relieve the load on dwm, but no luck.

Am heading toward doing a re-install....

#3 alhenton

alhenton
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2010 - 05:47 PM

Gave up. Did reinstall.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users