Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Where did these files come from?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 blank.black

blank.black

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 23 July 2010 - 07:12 AM

Hi,

I have a Toshiba laptop running Windows 7 32bit

I opened "My Computer" and on the Menu bar located on top I selected Tools > Folder Options > View tab > and from the displayed list I unchecked the following:

1. Hide empty drives in the Computer folder
2. Hide extensions for known file types
3. Hide protected operating system files

and now 4 hidden files have appeared on my desktop that I have no clue about.

The hidden files are:

CaC38w_cfdg.exe

Rtm6P5_cfdg.exe

desktop.ini (2 files with this same name)

Are these important files or can I delete them? Or should I just place them in another folder?

What must I do?

Please help...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AustinTerry

AustinTerry

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 PM

Posted 23 July 2010 - 07:48 AM

Do not delete them... at least not until you know what they are. Usually Windows doesn't hide files on the desktop, but I could be wrong. They may be important files that are supposed to remain hidden, but also remain where they are.

#3 AustinTerry

AustinTerry

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2010 - 07:57 AM

Enabling the Hide protected operating system files (Recommended) setting in Folder Options hides the two Desktop.ini files, as well. To access the Folder Options, open Windows Explorer, click Organize, click Folder and Search Options and select the View tab. Select Do Not Show Hidden Files and Folders.

Edited by AustinTerry, 23 July 2010 - 08:00 AM.

#4 blank.black

blank.black
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2010 - 08:13 AM

Thank you for your reply AustinTerry.

I am aware of the "Do not show Hidden Files and Folders" option.

However, I am curious to know if those 4 hidden files on my desktop, should be there or not.

I have never seen hidden files on desktop by default and hence, this seems a little strange to me. Now of course they could be important system files that were intended to remain hidden (like you pointed out) but I just find their current location (on my desktop) very strange.

In any case, I guess I will leave them hidden (as you suggested) unless I am made aware of anything different from other BC members.

Edited by blank.black, 23 July 2010 - 08:15 AM.

#5 AustinTerry

AustinTerry

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2010 - 08:49 AM

I agree with you about the location, and googled them to see what they were but came up empty...

I'm not at home on my Win7 computer, so I can't try and duplicate what you did to see if I get the same results.

If someone else doesn't reply before, I'll check it out tonight, and if it is the same on my machine, then that is probably how it is supposed to be.

:huh:

Edited by AustinTerry, 23 July 2010 - 08:51 AM.

#6 blank.black

blank.black
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2010 - 10:52 AM

Please do update me on that. Thank you.

#7 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 PM

Posted 23 July 2010 - 11:50 AM

desktop.ini are legit as AustinTerry said ("Enabling the Hide protected operating system files (Recommended) setting in Folder Options hides the two Desktop.ini files").
The other two don't bring any hits on Google, so upload them to http://www.virustotal.com/ for security check.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#8 AustinTerry

AustinTerry

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2010 - 06:03 PM

Well I did what you did and only got the desktop.ini files... so yeah I would do doing what Broni suggested and maybe start up a new topic in the bc Malware section.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/

#9 blank.black

blank.black
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2010 - 12:40 AM

Ok so I just uploaded the 2 files (other than the desktop.ini files) to VirusTotal (as suggested by Broni) and it showed 0 results.

So I guess I am left with 2 options: to start a new topic in the AII/Malware section OR leave the files hidden as they were.

Anyways I would like to thank you guys for your help. Really appreciate it.

Edited by blank.black, 24 July 2010 - 12:41 AM.

#10 AustinTerry

AustinTerry

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2010 - 06:40 AM

I'm thinking that if they came back negative, then they are files created/leftover/misplaced by program(s) you might have installed.

Do you have anything by RealTime Media, Office 2010, or software named RTM?

Also, do you use RoadRunners free CA Antivirus by chance?

If so, then yeah it is probably wise to just leave them hidden so as not to disrupt any of the programs.

Hope that helps... :huh:

#11 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 PM

Posted 24 July 2010 - 10:21 AM

I really wouldn't worry much about them.
All you can do is to rename both files, changing extensions from .exe to .old. Run the computer for couple of days. If your computer doesn't complain about missing something, delete both files.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#12 blank.black

blank.black
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2010 - 03:59 PM

Thank you again Austin and Broni. I have decided to just leave the files hidden as they do not seem to interfere with anything else on my computer (not yet at least).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users