Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE8 Homepage Hijacking

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 old_fox

old_fox

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 23 July 2010 - 05:50 AM

Hello

I suspect that I'm probably the millionth person to be seeking help on this subject, but here goes. A few days back when going on line I was surprised to see "Google Search" as my home page, not Sky.com (I live in the UK). I then noticed that my home page had been hijacked by: http:/flutwad.cc/aa/pinnokionews.php.. The usual methods of home page resetting failed, as did anti virus/malware checks with McAfee (my resident anti-virus sw), Malwarebytes, Spybot, Ad-Aware, Spyware-Doctor, Stinger and HijackThis. All except HijackThis didn't find any malware!! HijackThis showed that I had a problem and that if you were not confident which box to tick for deletion (me), seek professional advice from one of a number of forums and recommended BleepingComputer.com . HijackThis produced a Note Pad document which I presume would be of assistance to someone with greater computer knowledge than me (not difficult) to sort my problem out. What really gets up my nose was McAfee's response. They didn't think their software was to blame for my problem, but could remove the virus for a fee. Now I know we Brits may not be the "sharpest tools in the box" but my view was "get stuffed".
The curious thing is, my banking virus software Rapport states that I have a virus problem. Needless to say that when I check my banking, I dont use IE8, but Google Chrome and take all the usual security steps,

I would like some one who is patient to take me by the hand to sort my problem out (I'm the wrong side of sixty), this being the first time I've used a computer forum and I'm scared I might make "faux pas".

This will be my second attempt to post this problem, so I hope I get it right this time!!!

Kind Regards

Terry

PS I did a Google search on "flutwad" and found that I'm not alone. I don't know how this little sucker got onto my PC (I'm not the only user), but I'd to stick Pinnokio's nose where monkey's stick their nuts!!!

Edited by Pandy, 23 July 2010 - 08:58 AM.
Moved from Web Browsing to a more appropriate forum ~Pandy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users