Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Acer Laptop both Ctrl Keys stop working

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 orlymopy

orlymopy

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 23 July 2010 - 05:00 AM

Both my Ctrl keys on my keyboard stopped working.
Story
Yesterday i left it on the edge of a table not remembering that my niece was able to get to it. The lap top fell flat about 2 feet. However when i picked it up started it no damage. However i noticed the in laptop keyboard was shifted up on the right side by cm or two just enough so the far right 6 or 7 buttons get stuck. I unplug it and shut it down. Removed the top bar of plastic (the one covering the start button and lights) and pop the keyboard out and replace it so it is straight. When i restart everything is just fine but for some reason my Ctrl buttons wont work. Both of them on each side of the keyboard.
I have tried
  • External Usb keyboard works fine.
  • Shutting down and removing the keyboard again to make sure i did not pinch or misplace anything.
  • All other buttons tested and are in working order.
I dont know what else to try. I am an advanced user.
The Ctrl Key worked fine for the half hour i used it after the fall before i straighten it.
There was no new software or updates to my knowledge.
It has been my experience that whole parts of the keyboard will go dead or maybe a single key. But why the same key on two different parts of the keyboard?

Computer model
Acer Aspire 5517
Attached File  acer_aspire_5517_1643_laptop1.jpg   32.05KB   5 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Repair-IT

Repair-IT

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 23 July 2010 - 03:44 PM

Possible damage to keyboard itself. They are pretty cheap online, generally $10-15. You could also verify that the keyboard ribbon cable is properly seated in the motherboard.

#3 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2010 - 04:41 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

All laptops have pressure sensitive contacts located just below each key, pressing down on a key creates a circuit which is sent to a controller board and this controller board sends the proper signal to the CPU so it knows what to do.

The keyboard has a series of circuits running through the pad just below the keys, if there is damage done to this circuit, both keys on either side of the keyboard will malfunction, because they are both part of the same circuit.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#4 orlymopy

orlymopy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2010 - 11:52 AM

Repair-it i checked that this morning it is in all the way.
Mr Bruce so what are you suggesting that i do just buy a new keyboard?

#5 Neil B.

Neil B.

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 24 July 2010 - 01:38 PM

Yes, replace the keyboard. Like Repair-It said... they are only $20 and will take like 5 minutes to repair.

#6 orlymopy

orlymopy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2010 - 02:22 AM

OK.

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2010 - 02:25 PM

Mr Bruce so what are you suggesting that i do just buy a new keyboard?

Yes orlymopy, that is what I am suggesting.

As I see you are already in agreement with 3 of us, I still owed you a reply. :thumbsup:

Good luck and pleas keep us posted as to if the repair has brought back the full function of your keyboard.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 25 July 2010 - 02:25 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users