I accidentally clicked on an Windows Live Messenger virus yesterday, disguised as "facebook.exe" which is still causing a number of problems even after several attempts to remove the virus/es.
The main problems that are occuring:
- The virus is affecting Google Searches in both Firefox and Internet Explorer, and is randomly redirecting me to ad-spam websites.
- The virus has blocked me from accessing Windows Update.com in Internet Explorer and it says "The page could not be found".
- The virus seems to be affecting updating anti-virus software such as Microsoft Security Essentials - 80072fe Error Code, (no longer installed)
Steps I have taken already:
- I have run several virus and malware scans with CCleaner, AVG Free, Malware Bytes (in safe mode as well), Super Spyware Cleaner, AVAST (and in boot mode), Microsoft Security Essentials, and SpyBot Search and Destroy.
- All scanning software returned positive results for viruses/malware (sometimes under the name Win32), and I selected options to remove them from my PC.
- Since the problems are still occuring even after these "extensive" scans, I decided to remove all anti-malware/anti-virus software from my computer appart from CCleaner and AVAST.
Just to clarify, the ad redirecting issues are happening in BOTH Firefox and Internet Explorer so it is not independent to one particular browser. I read somewhere that JAVA could be causing an issue so I took steps to remove it via Add/Remove Programs. Since the issue first came up after clicking on a Windows Live Messenger link, I have removed that software as well. I also had command prompt windows with "a12345.exe" popping up on boot, but I think I managed to find the source of the file on the C:// drive but it could still be lurking somewhere.
Edited by Jehan_N, 23 July 2010 - 04:54 AM.