Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Using the Internet in safe mode

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 mr benn

mr benn

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 AM

Posted 23 July 2010 - 03:20 AM

Hi guys. My pc is infected with this blinking AV Security virus. I am awaiting one of the kind Forum guys to help me with a seperate thread I have opened re-this.
Meantime though, the only way I can use the Internet is via 'safe mode'. However, I cant get my Avast software to run whilst in safe mode. I am obviously loathe to run the Internet with no /limited protection, but I desperatley need to get on with some work from home.
Can somebody please advise how I can make sure I dont get hit by another virus whilst running in safe mode ?

Thanks.

Edited by mr benn, 23 July 2010 - 05:11 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the dummy

the dummy

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 23 July 2010 - 08:52 PM

See if you can download malwarebytes & superantispyware both of their free versions, and see if you can fix it yourself.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 24 July 2010 - 12:15 PM

Your log is posted here and you are already getting help.

After posting a log and getting assistance, you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a Malware Response Team member, nor should you continue to ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show it the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the member assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

The Malware Response Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean. myrti has asked you to run Combofix so I suggest you work on doing that and posting its log. As for your question, Combofix is optimized to run from normal mode where it is most effective. However, it should run in safe mode if you are having trouble getting it to run or loading Windows in normal mode.

If you need help, see this link:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/combofix/how-to-use-combofix

regards myrti

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic.

Thanks for your cooperation.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users