Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cleansing of Flat Screens

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 reb999000

reb999000

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 PM

Posted 23 July 2010 - 02:34 AM

Dear All,

I have 2x Dell 19 flat screens on my PC (Dual screen user) and they require cleansing attention and I am very precautious about using household cleaners, water etc as these will permanently damage the pixels.

Could you all please advise me what cleaner is suitable for this purpose?

Much Appreciated!

Reb999000

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Repair-IT

Repair-IT

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 23 July 2010 - 03:38 PM

For my client's (and my own for that matter) LCDs, I generally use a very lightly damp cloth with a light soap solution, then clean with a lightly damp (just water) to avoid residue. If it is just finger prints and such, a microfiber cloth will work just fine. These can be found at many places, but I picked up a small sheet (6x6) of it at the local sunglass hut.

#3 konfuzed

konfuzed

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 AM

Posted 28 July 2010 - 02:02 PM

I found Screen Cleaner at TJ maxx of all places. It came with a micro fiber cloth. No alcohol formula. You should be able to buy something similar at Best Buy or similar places.

#4 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 AM

Posted 28 July 2010 - 03:33 PM

I use monitor wipes that I get at Big Lots. Theyre cheap
I use them on my TV too
In the beginning there was the command line.

#5 reb999000

reb999000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 PM

Posted 09 August 2010 - 04:44 AM

Dear All,

Thanks everyone for all the help with this issue.

Regards,

reb999000.

Edited by reb999000, 09 August 2010 - 04:45 AM.

#6 JonM33

JonM33

• Banned
  • 503 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2010 - 09:42 AM

For my client's (and my own for that matter) LCDs, I generally use a very lightly damp cloth with a light soap solution, then clean with a lightly damp (just water) to avoid residue. If it is just finger prints and such, a microfiber cloth will work just fine. These can be found at many places, but I picked up a small sheet (6x6) of it at the local sunglass hut.

No way! Don't ever use soap on an LCD screen! It can leave a nasty residue behind or contain chemicals that will break down the screen.

Use 50/50 of distilled water and isopropyl alcohol.

Edited by JonM33, 09 August 2010 - 09:44 AM.

#7 TheShooter93

TheShooter93

Cody

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,792 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2010 - 09:44 AM

I use a soft cloth and a spray bottle of distilled water, I believe. Not at home now to double-check the contents of the bottle but that's what I think it is.

CCNA R&SCCNA Security | Network+  |  B.S. - Information Technology | Cyber Security Engineer

If I am helping you and have not replied within 48 hours, please send me a private message.

#8 Bezukhov

Bezukhov

Bleepin' Jazz Fan!

• Members
  • 2,631 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2010 - 10:13 AM

A question that has also been on my mind. Many thanks for the input.

Edited by Bezukhov, 09 August 2010 - 10:13 AM.

To err is Human. To blame it on someone else is even more Human.

#9 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2010 - 12:52 PM

Just do not use a shamwow.....I just threw that in there just to be funny. :huh: Sorry for my ill humor, but don't ya just hate that infomercial? :thumbsup:

Any ways to the point and the topic.

What ever you use just make sure the fabric is soft, like lambs wool, using cleaners can cause permanent damage, but the use of cleaning rags or shammies can cause microscopic scratches that show up on the glass screen in the worst places.

I have a friend who smokes cigarettes while using their computer, the residue built up on the computer screen, in an effort to remove the nicotine oils from their screen, they used a shammie and alcohol, bad news, this scratched the anti-static coating on the glass, which made the the screen hard to see or hard to read words, in an effort to repair that problem, they permanently damaged the glass on the screen, so that toothpaste or jewelers polish had no effect in repairing it.

Since the exterior glass is part of the CRT, there is no physical way of removing or repairing the now fuzzy looking/ blurred scratched screen.

Just take this as a warning.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 09 August 2010 - 12:58 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,472 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 AM

Posted 10 August 2010 - 10:43 AM

I've been out of touch for a while, so it's possible that I've missed something in the interim, but I thought that flat screen monitors were LCDs. :thumbsup:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#11 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2010 - 11:34 AM

I've been out of touch for a while, so it's possible that I've missed something in the interim, but I thought that flat screen monitors were LCDs. :huh:

You got me on that one dc3 :thumbsup:

Actualy they are LCDs, but their screens are not hard surfaces such as a CRT screens are, so altough my point above was slightly off the LCD screen topic a bit, the point it should have given is if certain fabrics can scratch a hard glass surface, they can surely have a destructive impact on a LCD screens soft plastic surface.

I should have worded that one with a little better discription than I did, so yeah it sounded a bit off topic.

But hopefully you all can under stand the point I was trying to make with that statement. :huh:

Bruce.

Edit: entered left out word.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 10 August 2010 - 11:38 AM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users