Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem With Slow Running Computer

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 henrysmom

henrysmom

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 22 October 2005 - 10:16 PM

i am not sure what has happened, my computer was running perfectly and opening pages very quickly but in the last week or two it has slowed down extremely on opening pages. my connection speed has stayed the same but it still opens things alot slower. any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2005 - 10:32 PM

This could be caused by many things, which I will just list some of the more obvious:
1. Adware invasion
2. Highly fragmented hard drive
3. Running too many programs/applications at once (or at start-up)
4. Recently installing an application that is hogging computer resources

Have you considered any of these?
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 22 October 2005 - 11:55 PM

Have you installed a security program that is scanning your web content as it is downloaded? What type of connection do you have POTS or broadband?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 turnip

turnip

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2005 - 12:46 AM

i am not sure what has happened, my computer was running perfectly and opening pages very quickly but in the last week or two it has slowed down extremely on opening pages. my connection speed has stayed the same but it still opens things alot slower. any ideas?

Tried cleaning out the trash, run a disk cleanup and remove your temporary internet files, clear history etc, and then chkdsk and defragment.. this may help improve things a bit. PLUS needless to say ensure its not a spyware infection.

#5 henrysmom

henrysmom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2005 - 01:32 AM

first of all to answer turnip, i do all these things regularly. and have adware protection plus anti virus. the thing i am questioning is the "zone alarm" i have running. this is the one thing i know for sure is checking everything as it loads and does seem it could be a problem. heres the list of everything i'm running-

1)spybot s&d
2)ad-aware se
3)microsoft antispy
4)spyware guard
5)spyware blaster
6)avg
7)ewido security suite
what do you think?

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 23 October 2005 - 01:37 AM

:thumbsup: You are well protected with anti-software. I had issues with ZA and switched to SyGate Personal Edition. My issues were the computer would freeze up. Have you turned off ZA to see if it makes a difference?

Edited by acklan, 23 October 2005 - 01:38 AM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#7 henrysmom

henrysmom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2005 - 02:51 AM

i'm glad all else looks good! i will try turning it off and see how it goes. i'll let you all know. thanks everyone.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2005 - 08:14 AM

i'm glad all else looks good! i will try turning it off and see how it goes. i'll let you all know. thanks everyone.

You don't want to "turn off" a firewall...you want to replace it.

In addition to those listed previously, Kerio Personal Firewall is free and works fine.

The Microsoft Antispyware program has a tools section that you may want to investigate. It may help you in your desire to improve performance.

Louis

#9 henrysmom

henrysmom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2005 - 12:56 PM

i will check into the tools section. another of the problems is that if my mail is downloading it doesn't want to open any other pages and i'll get a " not able to be found" message. or if more than one window is open at a time it does this.also what should i be checking in the tools section of spyware? i'm not sure what to change and do not want to disable anything important. thanks!

Edited by henrysmom, 23 October 2005 - 01:05 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users