I would restart, sometimes a few times after repeating the problem, and eventually everything would seem to work, but I was annoyed and vaguely recalled there was something I could do to check for corrupt system files with the run line. I googled and found/remembered the whole sfc /scannow thing and tried it. But when I inserted my windows disc when prompted by SFC everything froze, then when I restarted my DVD drive was no longer detected. I ran cdgone (edits the registry back to basics for the cd drive) and it had no effect. I tried booting from a windows dvd and had enough problems that for a while I believed the drive itself was bad and not even being detected by the BIOS, but eventually I got that to work enough to believe the drive is fine. Getting Windows to start again, I uninstalled the IDE drivers in device manager and actually got XP to detect the DVD drive again. But when I clicked on the DVD Drive from explorer (intending to copy the i386 folder from the cd to my root directory so I could [hopefully] run SFC properly) I got a blank screen the color of my desktop background with a couple vertical lines in the middle.
I started poking around and found out that rootkits often corrupt something called atapi which I understand is needed for CD/DVD drive support.
I downloaded and ran the ESET online virus scan -- took a long time, found 1 thing that was some sort of toolbar (although I've never downloaded/been attacked by any stupid toolbars that I'm aware of).
I used another computer to put my i386 folder onto a portable usb drive and copied it to my bad notebook's harddrive so I could run SFC, which I did. It ran and finished but didn't output any sort of information as to whether there were problems found/fixed/etc.
I downloaded and ran Windows Malicious Software removal and the quick scan (I swear) said "11 files" infected or something about 11 problems and prompted my to run a full scan, after which it promised to reveal details. I did so. It found nothing further and the result was that it told me I had "Alureon A" and that it had been partially removed.
I'm hoping someone can walk me through what I need to do to get rid of whatever is left of it and to find/remove any other rootkits (or other viruses) using combofix or whatever else I should be using.
UPDATE: I tried to post this and found my browser couldn't connect to any sites. I restarted and got a black screen with odd (but pretty) bars of green and red. I restarted again and it was very slow but it's working enough (hopefully) to let me post this.
Edited by tobyjason, 22 July 2010 - 09:20 PM.