Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do you disable the built in Admin Account in XP Pro?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 smak451

smak451

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 22 July 2010 - 08:52 PM

Not sure if this is part of the account you create or a separate (built in) account, but seems like it should be disabled if the latter. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2010 - 08:57 PM

You cannot...I have to wonder why you would want to.

Louis

#3 smak451

smak451
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2010 - 01:18 AM

You cannot...I have to wonder why you would want to.

Louis

I was just hacked with a bad RK and have been reading all I can on how it happened and what I can do to prevent it once I emerge from this mess -- I remember reading here a tutorial on how to enable the built in Admin account in Vista & 7 where the author advised against doing so (they come disabled by default for security) while XP comes with it enabled.

I thought (since I was running XP) that this may have been part of my problem. You'll have to forgive my ignorance if I'm confusing issues here -- my identity was stolen and I'm desperately trying to get up to speed on this stuff. I'm trying to extract what I can and burn to disk before doing a reformat/clean install of 7, but as Quietman predicted my CDRom has been disabled. Trying a few last ditch efforts to get it enabled before nuking the whole system with Dban and then doing the install. I know there are many people in the world with a lot of problems much worse than my own, but this really sucks! -- S

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 23 July 2010 - 02:18 AM

In XP you can indeed disable the default Administrator account, and indeed all Admin-level accounts. This, however, leaves you unable to do anything which requires Admin rights like install software, get updates from Microsoft, and a score of other things which you want to be able to keep doing. In order to do these otherwise mundane tasks you would have to reboot the computer into safe mode, re-enable the Admin account, reboot back into normal mode to do whatever it was you were doing, then re-disable the admin account.

A better strategy is to only use the Admin account when necessary and to have a good, strong passphrase for it (a passphrase is generally longer and more complex, hence better, than a password and is usually easier to remember)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users