Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot failures, blinking underscores, and other laptop woes

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Smyted

Smyted

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 AM

Posted 22 July 2010 - 08:37 PM

Two weeks ago i went camping for the weekend...

When i returned home i got on my Lenovo Thinkpad x200 and loaded up my copy of
Mount and Blade Warband (my then obsession :huh: )

The system requirements for the game seemed low enough for me to play on the laptop
so i was shocked when the laptop froze, crashed, then showed the Blue Screen (it was during
one of the text conversation scenes too :huh:)

Afterward, every time i booted up the laptop the message "the boot selection
failed because a required device is inaccessible"
popped up.

I tried mounting a Windows 7 install disc to a usb drive (the laptop doesnt have an optical
drive) but the installation failed every time

After the failed attempts at a new Windows install, the "boot selection failed..."
message no longer appeared

Now, whenever i boot up the computer, there is only a black screen with a white
underscore (cursor?) blinking on the top left corner.

Most recently i've made several attempts at installing ubuntu 10.04 on the laptop
(using a usb drive) to no avail. The installer ends up hanging on "step 2: Where Are You?"

Also when i just choose to boot ubuntu without installing, the laptop goes
to the loading screen (purple background, 5 white and orange dots) for a little over an hour
before the desktop finally loads.

Anyway I'm running out of ideas (didnt really have any idea what i was doing in the first
place). I currently have ubuntu booted up (not installed) on the laptop in question,
running windows xp on the spare laptop.

Does anybody have any idea as to what happened to the laptop? Does anybody have a solution?

Thank you for taking the time to read my post and i patiently await your reply.

ps. i posted this here because windows 7 was the original OS the laptop was running but i'll gladly move it if it belongs to another forum

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Repair-IT

Repair-IT

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 AM

Posted 23 July 2010 - 03:53 PM

Sounds like the hard drive is either dead or unseated. Try pulling the current drive and re-seating it. If this works, you should be good to go. If not, then you would need to purchase a new drive and reinstall the operating system and such.

#3 Smyted

Smyted
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 AM

Posted 23 July 2010 - 11:04 PM

thanks a bunch man

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users