Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Explorer crashes periodically

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#1 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 22 July 2010 - 08:29 PM

Hi,
I know this might seem very simple, but I can tell you that I have certainly never seen it before. I was fooling around on my laptop last night, and since then, Windows explorer has failed to respond sometimes, then when I close it and then restart it, I get a very matter of fact Win 98 sound followed by the error "The remote Procedure Call failed and did not execute." My only choice is to close the message box. By the way, the win 98 sound is one that I set up for that purpose. What is this error, and how in the world do I get Windows Explorer to quit crashing?

Many thanks,
Chromebuster

Edited by boopme, 16 August 2010 - 03:58 PM.

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,740 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2010 - 09:45 PM

Hello this looks like malware.. Have you updated and scanned with Malwarebytes?

You can also type Services into the startmenu search box and click that.

Scroll to Remote Procedure Call the status should say Started.
The second RPC Locator should be set to Manual.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 chromebuster

chromebuster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2010 - 10:53 PM

Oh shoot! nope ... I think I'll go do that. Thanks for the quick reply. I just checked the two services, and they are both at the correct settings. I don't mess around in there unless there is some really important reason for me to, and that's not often. Could this also be related to my constant outlook crashing that has also been going on? That is a constant issue too, and I posted about it elsewhere, but nothing has come out of there. Ran office diagnostics, ... nada except for a re-initialization of the groove monitor process (courtesy of Win Patrol). the only things I've installed in the past few days are the game Troopanum, a space invaders type game for the blind and audio loving (highly recommended to gamers out there), MySQl V5.1.48 community server for experimentation and .net development, and then, right before this Windows Explorer thingo started, I had just turned on the IIS features so that I can play with ASP.net. The outlook thing's been going on for a while now. NOD32 had a scan last Friday or Saturday, and it came up with nada. It scans every week. I'll let you know what MBAM finds. If you want to move this, you can. Just let me know.

Thanks a lot,
Chromebuster

#4 chromebuster

chromebuster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2010 - 11:33 AM

Just an update. As promised, I'll tell you what was found. MBAM found nothing except for a couple of NirSoft tools. I put them on the ignore list since I deliberately installed them. So far as I know, Windows Explorer seems all right this morning at least, but it is hard to tell as the issue seems quite spiratic. I'll let you know if anything else happens. Thanks again for your help.

#5 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 AM

Posted 23 July 2010 - 07:43 PM

Try using Dr.Web Free Scanner, that always worked for me and other computers

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#6 chromebuster

chromebuster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2010 - 08:16 PM

Hi,
Thanks so much for the suggestion. I'm just curious, what in the world in terms of malware do you guys seem to think could be causing this, Windows Explorer and Outlook (if they're related) to crash? I've looked up tons of malware families, names, categories, and in all the months I've been doing it, I've never seen a common family who can make computers exhibit these symptoms. Strange, isn't it? And also, is it absolutely essential that Dr. Web CureIt be run in safe mode? The only reason why I ask is because I use the screen reader JAWS, and that does not load in safe mode due to the fact that Microsoft doesn't consider the sound drivers as part of the bare minimum. (I think they should). For folks like me who have to ask sighted individuals to stop what they're doing to read the screen to me. Thanks.

Chromebuster

#7 chromebuster

chromebuster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2010 - 09:44 PM

Update. Okay ... woe... hyper activity in background Win 98 sounds! What I mean is that I was browsing a thread on this site earlier, just about a half hour ago, and I got the lovely blue screen of death as happens periodically with this computer. I restarted as no other sighted individuals were in the room to read what the message was. (I am blind as mentioned earlier). So as the computer was restarting, it seemed ridiculously slow, but eventually everything started up just fine. I decided to go into Win Utilities (The system optimizer that I've been using for these last few months), and clear out the history of some of my apps including most of the temp files. Strangely, during the clearing process, I got a barrage of custom set Win 98 sounds, the lesser one telling me that a program was opening, and the greater one marking a program's closure. These are common sounds that I hear every day, but it seemed strange that processes would be opening and then terminating so rapidly? I had to restart once again to get them to stop. . Could this be yet another symptom of something? Maybe this also would help you folks too. in the earlier part of this year (five days between Feb. 18 and Feb. 23, 2010), my computer had to go away to figure out what had happened to it when it started going into infinite boot loops. Cause? There was none. Ever since then, I get periodic blue screens of death. Not often enough anymore to worry about, but maybe that is significant too? Sorry for the eternal post, and thank you very much for your help!

Chromebuster

#8 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,740 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2010 - 10:41 PM

Sorry I was unable to reply sooner.. I suspect a rootkit from those symptoms... and I recommend you post in the Malware Removal section.

We need a deeper look. Please go here....
Preparation Guide ,do steps 6 - 9.

Create a DDS log and post it in the new topic explained in step 9,which is here Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs and not in this topic,thanks.
If Gmer won't run,skip it and move on.
Let me know if that went well.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#9 chromebuster

chromebuster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2010 - 11:16 PM

Thanks so much ... again. I'll get back to you with that stuff later seeing that I should probably get off this thing if there is anything to worry about hiding. and also since I want to be awake and alert when doing it so that I don't screw up anything. You'll get an update in the morning. But holy cow! ... I can't believe this! I'm usually so vigilant with my technology, and so I can't believe I missed something!

Chromebuster

#10 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,740 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2010 - 11:57 PM

There exixts the possibility that it is not but I prefer to be certain.
You're welcome..

#11 chromebuster

chromebuster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2010 - 12:56 PM

I'll say that I'm very glad that there are cautious members on this board like you. I'll also say that everything went smoothly and not to mention quickly. all of the logs came through smoothly, and I'll tell you that from my quick look at them (I'm posting them up there now), nothing looked out of place from my knowledge and experience. I could be wrong though. It's hilarious that Gmer flipped out over one of my screen readers though. Gave me a laugh. Does it give you one? Again, thanks for the hand. and today I haven't tried Windows explorer, but it's so non-consistent that it crashes, and I'm not sure what trying it again would show.

#12 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,740 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2010 - 04:00 PM

I 've re opened this topic at OP's request. This PC is Malware free.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...p;#entry1890525

#13 chromebuster

chromebuster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2010 - 07:13 PM

Thanks so much. I'll tell you that since the topic has been reopened, it's been the same thing for the past few days now, except that Explorer seems to be unstable less. Like for instance, I've gone a full two days and the program didn't crash once, and then I'd have days when it crashed all of the time. I have since changed the second RPC service to automatic to see if that makes a difference, and that's when I was led into the false belief that it had. A day or two later, the program was acting like it's old self, crashing and hanging. I am trying to figure out what the heck triggered this, and if it was something specific, I'd be glad to know if anyone knows how to reverse the change. I did install IIS the day it began, but so did i install IIS on my desktop computer, and so far, it's been fine. Difference, anyone? Thanks.

Chromebuster

#14 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2010 - 08:44 PM

Hello I want to see if I can help you resolve your problem.

If you could please follow my instructions below, we'll see if the problem goes away.

1. Boot in Safe Mode to see if the issue occurs. In Safe Mode, Windows runs minimize services and programs.

If the issue doesn't occur in Safe Mode, the cause may be due to third party applications or services. If it is the case, we can continue the step 2.

2. Perform a Clean Boot to identify the exact process.

Clean boot

=================

Letís disable all startup items and third party services when booting. This method will help us determine if this issue is caused by a loading program or service. Please perform the following steps:

1) Click the Start Button type "msconfig" (without quotation marks) in the Start Search box, and then press Enter.

2) Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).

3) Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

4) Then, restart the computer. When the "System Configuration Utility" window appears, please check the "Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows starts" box and click OK.

5) Please test this issue in the Clean Boot environment, if the issue disappears in the Clean Boot environment, we can use a 50/50 approach to quickly narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

3. If the issue persists, I recommend that you perform a Startup Repair to replace corrupted system files if you own a Windows RC 7 DVD.

Startup Repair

==============

Note: Please ensure that the DVD-ROM is the first booting device.

1) Please insert the Windows 7 RC DVD and reboot the computer.

2) When we are prompted to press a key to boot from the DVD, please press Enter or the space bar.

3) Choose your language settings, and then click Next.

4) Click Repair your computer.

5) Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.

6) On the System Recovery Options menu, click Startup Repair. Startup Repair might prompt you to make choices as it tries to fix the problem, and if necessary, it might restart your computer as it makes repairs.

Please ask if your have any questions, I'll be happy to answer them for you.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#15 chromebuster

chromebuster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2010 - 08:58 PM

Hi Bruce,
Thanks for your continued support and assistance. I knew that this was more like what was needed when this whole thing began, but I had no idea that I could have voiced it then, and I certainly feel bad for those in the HJT team who were bothered by this too. I will do those steps tomorrow or the next day as there are no sighted individuals free at the moment. You see, I am a blind individual who has nothing but the output of screen readers to rely on when it comes to computer output. So as a result, due to the simple fact that the sound drivers do not load in safe mode (which I shall never take back my promise to the blind community to one day fix), , I have to wait till a sighted person is free and available to guide me through the safe mode process. Other than that, you should be getting a reply very soon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users