Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems After Windows Updates

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 pbutter81

pbutter81

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 PM

Posted 22 July 2010 - 08:16 PM

The last 3 Windows Updates I installed were Service Pack 3 (KB936929), Security Update (KB956744), and Update (KB951978.) I'm running XP Home Edition on a Sony Vaio. Ever since these updates, when I click on my wireless connection, it tells me it can't connect but I should try Microsoft Zero Configuration. When I run that program, it gets stuck on "Acquiring Network Address," although it reads my network name and the signal strength is excellent. I used to just have it work fine on its own, with an Intel Pro, Wireless 2200BG Network Connection, which is now listed as disconnected, even though the hardware device is listed as installed and working properly.

Also, now there's no system volume at all. When I go to the control panel and open up the volume settings, it's blanked out, as in, I can't toggle the volume slider at all. It's as if I've uninstalled the volume capability completely.

Should I just do a system restore and hope for the best or are there some simple fixes? Are the updates even the root cause of this? I assume it is, because all these issues happened after the restart.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_SteinPooch_*

Guest_SteinPooch_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 25 July 2010 - 02:31 PM

You don't have to hope for the best with System Restore. It has fixed a lot of my problems like that over the years. Just set it to a few days before this all happened. If that doesn't fix, post back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users