Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Purchaced Used PC

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sumyungii

sumyungii

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 AM

Posted 22 July 2010 - 07:44 PM

Hello, I've recently purchaced a used pc for the first time...I'm worried that it may have something that my AV suite missed. I dont want to get my main PC infected via networking if that's possible.

I've looked up alot of stuff on this forum before and now i'm a MEMBER whoot!

so i'm basically hoping to just have a pro's eye check this sucker cuz i'm paranoid about buying used puter.

i think this is right spot to ask for help but if not srry's.

I run McAfee Suite, Spybot, SUPERAntiSpyware, and CCcleaner & i've ran M-Bam on this sucker and all says clean ( it was quiet...to quiet )

Would just like to know for sure i'm going to be using this as an internet usage pc next to my game machine.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 AM

Posted 22 July 2010 - 09:12 PM

My 2 cents...

You're good to go with Spyware/Malware protection.

Although, I would seriously recommend a different Anti-Virus/Internet Security Suite for the computer.

If the above suite does not feature an effective Firewall, get a standalone program like Comodo or Zonealarm as well.

Will come back with more inputs, ta!
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#3 sumyungii

sumyungii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2010 - 12:14 AM

Thanks for your reply,

Glad to see i'm running decent spyware adware. From what I understand no "suite" should be trusted to block all, detect all...but he Antivirus Suite firewall seems to be pretty good. I've never had an infection that it hasn't blocked and it shows when it blocks things. It's actually the AT&T version that comes with their connection if you have premium plan. It's the McAfee Elite Edition. I run Spybot and SuperAnti every two weeks and bust an MBam about once a month and i've never had a bad report just a few tracking cookies like adyeildmanager and common's like that.

I'm open to suggestions but i figured my main PC is doing fine so it should be ok. I've had bad experiances with every free Suite i've ever used and the At&t McAfee Suite is good for up to 3 pc's. I figured if it isn't broke don't fix it. But would love to know what you would consider a good suite for up to 3 pc's.

I got this PC used a while back and it had several virus's and trojans and a key logger...so I called HP they sent me the OS Disk for $14 bucks. Did a fresh install of Vista and viola Suite showed nothing nor did MBam,spybot,superanti,Microsoft live onecare...window's defender but I read that even a fresh OS install can carry over certain bug's and critters so I"m here.

I'd like to know if i'm working with a clean slate or not. It still seem's a bit sluggish especially regarding Yahoo & Yahoo Mail.
I also get alot of Not Respondings. I'm hoping it just needs to be bumped up to 2 gig's with some fresh ram. Just would like someone to look @ some HJT logs and give me better insight.

Appreciate any help Thanks

#4 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2010 - 06:15 PM

the At&t McAfee Suite is good for up to 3 pc's. I figured if it isn't broke don't fix it.
That may be, but McAfee has kinda lost some reputation in recent times.
Moreover, you have programs like Kaspersky IS, ESET Smart Security, BitDefender and Norton Internet Security to choose from, with respect to effectiveness and functionality.

I read that even a fresh OS install can carry over certain bug's and critters so I"m here.
Well, that can't be helped, but that's what the Windows Updates are for.
AFAIK, Windows Vista Service Pack 2 is the latest in line, so be sure to have SP2 installed.

I'm hoping it just needs to be bumped up to 2 gig's with some fresh ram.
4GB of memory should be good enough for Win Vista.

Edited by ReviverSoft, 23 July 2010 - 06:17 PM.

#5 sumyungii

sumyungii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2010 - 09:50 PM

Sadly enough the max ram allowed for this dinosaur is 2g's but for less than 50 bucks what can I say.

I was just hoping someone could view maybe a HJT log or something and let me know if i have a problem.

I know you guy's are pretty busy helping ppl that know there infected where as in my case i'm just trying to make sure i'm not.

If someone's bored maybe a diagnostic check with HJT or something?

BTW vista's up to date with SP2 no failed updates listed, no registry errors in CCleaner,

Edited by sumyungii, 25 July 2010 - 09:53 PM.

#6 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2010 - 03:31 PM

Hey there,

You need to post your HJT logs here.

Good luck! :thumbsup: