Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot error, nothing works.

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 t.del

t.del

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 AM

Posted 22 July 2010 - 06:01 PM

I'm no computer genius, but, having battled several viruses before, I am able to find my way around a computer (virtually and physically) pretty well. My dad recently handed me and old HP Omnibook 510 and asked me to see if I could bring it back to life. I don't really have a need for the computer, so this isn't pressing if y'all are busy or whatever. Anyway I found that the computer wont boot XP at all (standard or safe modes), and wont boot my XP cd. I can get into the BIOS but that is it. When booting to standard XP I get a Boot Error blue screen. I would like to format the HDD and re-install a clean copy of windows, but seeing as I can't boot anything, I'm not sure how to do this. I have heard of slaving a HDD to another computer, however this does not make sense to me because if I swap the HDD into another laptop, then how would the new laptop boot? Unless of course there is a way to hook up the Omnibook's HDD to another laptop without removing the other laptop's HDD. Any suggestions?

A side note (could be related): While working on the PC, I noticed that the fan does not seem to start, and the computer becomes hot to the touch, especially around where the processor should be.

Thanks for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,769 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 22 July 2010 - 07:08 PM

I noticed that the fan does not seem to start, and the computer becomes hot to the touch

Something may be toasted inside.
I'm afraid, that a visit to a computer shop is a must (if it's worth it).

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#3 t.del

t.del
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2010 - 07:52 PM

Thanks for your reply

If this is the case, is there anyway for me to check myself for a burnt out component? Like if I were to take apart the computer, what would I look for that would indicate a that something got toasted (and what that something is)?

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,769 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2010 - 08:06 PM

I doubt, without proper tools, you'll be able to see anything. It's not like you'll see something black from a smoke.
CPU, or some motherboard components may be damaged from overheating.
It's really hard to tell, where to even start.

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#5 t.del

t.del
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2010 - 08:35 PM

Ok, I will have to see whether or not getting it repaired is worth it. Thanks for the help though.

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,769 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2010 - 09:00 PM

Keep us posted :thumbsup:

My Website

#7 t.del

t.del
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2010 - 05:56 PM

Ok, this may sound kind of strange, but I went back to make sure that the fan was broken, and found that it isn't. The heat that I had noticed before may have come from the fact that it was pushing 85 degrees in my house (AC was broken at the time). I have used computers in that kind of temperature before and for longer periods of time without anything getting toasted, so I don't think that that is the case here (not eliminating it from the possibilities though). If this problem isn't a toasted component, how could I go about fixing the PC? I apologize for not having properly verified all the facts before posting.

#8 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,769 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2010 - 07:01 PM

What does happen, when you try to boot from XP CD?

My Website

#9 t.del

t.del
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2010 - 01:55 PM

After the text which tells you to press f2 to enter setup, etc, the screen turns black except for a small dash to the upper left corner which flashes. After maybe a minute the computer restarts, and the same thing happens.

#10 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,769 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2010 - 02:03 PM

It doesn't look like you're booting from CD.
Press F2 to enter BIOS and make sure, CD drive is listed first in "boot order".

My Website

#11 t.del

t.del
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2010 - 05:35 PM

I double checked, it is set to the top of the list. If for some reason it is the cd drive that isnt working (I don't know why it wouldn't be), could I use an external cd drive?

#12 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 PM

Posted 24 July 2010 - 05:45 PM

yes....you could use external cd drive or you could use usb flash drive (you must set your flash drive with another working computer)

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#13 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,769 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2010 - 05:51 PM

could I use an external cd drive?

That depends, if your BIOS supports it.
Check, if in "boot order" you can see something like "external USB" entry.

Also, try the CD on another working computer to see, if it's bootable.

My Website

#14 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 24 July 2010 - 10:07 PM

http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/s...13/lpi05913.pdf

The thing may be 10 years old. HP never did decent documentation on this model since it was for fleet/business market and remained active over several years.

Don't assume even the meager info in this links manual is accurate.

good luck

#15 t.del

t.del
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2010 - 12:35 PM

Sorry, my power was out for a couple days. I actually took apart my cd drive (couldnt get the external working), cleaned off the dirt, dust, etc, put it back together and now the cd boots. Seems to be working fine, thanks for the help and such.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users