Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Aggghhh please help

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 devilspride2k1

devilspride2k1

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 AM

Posted 22 July 2010 - 02:46 PM

Hi, since 2 nights ago my pc has just gone ooober slow! it takes around 15 mins to start up, and everything I click thereafter, takes forever. I have done a disk clean, disk fragment and have run a full MBAM scan, which was completely clear. If its any help I run sophos endpoint anti virus. I would greatly appreciate any of your help. xx

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,896 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 AM

Posted 22 July 2010 - 03:46 PM

System manufacturer and model?

Have you tried running chkdsk /r command?

Start/Run...type chkdsk /r and hit Enter. Type Y in new screen and hit Enter. Reboot the system, command will execute...system boots into XP upon completion of chkdsk /r command.

How much free space on C:? How large is C:?

How much RAM installed?

Louis

#3 devilspride2k1

devilspride2k1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2010 - 02:05 PM

Hi thanks for your help. I tried to run chkdsk/r and it says windows cannot fnd. C is 108GB free space 60.38GB according to defragment. Sorry i dont know how to tell you how much RAM installed

Carla x

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,896 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2010 - 02:13 PM

To find out much info about your system...

Start/Run...type msinfo32 and hit Enter.

Total Physical Memory (right window) is your RAM installed.

The command chkdsk /r must be typed exactly as I have typed it, with space between k and /.

Louis

#5 devilspride2k1

devilspride2k1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2010 - 02:35 PM

hi, i typed msinfo in run and it says 'windows cannot find msinfo. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a fil........etc etc.

So i typed command in run, and in the Dos screen I typed chkdsk /r and the message I got back was as follows ...' Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts (y/n)

As a last minute thought, checked system properties and it says I have a Compaq Presario, Intel ® Pentium ® 4 CPU 2.80GHz...2.80GHz 512MB of RAM...not sure if this is any help but better to include than not !! lol

sorry its a headache, not sure what else to do

Carla

Edited by devilspride2k1, 25 July 2010 - 02:42 PM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,896 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2010 - 04:43 PM

The command...is msinfo32, not just msinfo.

The chkdsk /r question/screen is routine. Type Y and hit Enter. Then reboot the system.

Louis

#7 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 26 July 2010 - 01:53 AM

So i typed command in run, and in the Dos screen I typed chkdsk /r and the message I got back was as follows ...' Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts (y/n)

just type y (mean yes)...close command prompt (DOS) and reboot you machine...
while your computer boot...it will says confirmation or something that shows your scandisk...at begining it will ask you to continue or not...
if you decide to not continue it you was give several times to press any key (to cancel scandisk process before its began)...
if you decide to continue it...please DO NOT PRESS ANY KEY until its began...

the easiest ways...after you reboot leave your computer about 5 minutes...just to make sure no one press any key cant cancel scandisk process...

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#8 devilspride2k1

devilspride2k1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2010 - 03:08 PM

Hi here we go.

total physical memory is 512MB of which 72MB is free. I ran chkdsk/ r and it was at 89%, when I checked again a while later it had finished and returned to normal desktop..I have no clue if this is usual ...sorry. I am greatful for your help, and I will check for replies tonight and tomorrow, but thursday one of my babies is goin in hospital for an operation, I am hoping just the day, but wanted to let you know, so if I do not reply thursday please do not think I am not bothered, and equally, if there are more urgent people to help that day, its only fair to let you know...
Many thanx

Carla

#9 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2010 - 04:32 PM

its usuall...after scandisk process finish...your windows will goes to desktop...

hope your babies will recover fast...
please dont bother to reply fast...just look at the babies first...until he heal...
if he heal you can reply here again...

#10 devilspride2k1

devilspride2k1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2010 - 03:56 PM

:thumbsup: Thank you all for being so understanding, my 2 yr old little girl is home and doin ok !! ... Hope my last post was of use, where shall we go from here ??

Many Kind Thanks

Carla

#11 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2010 - 03:38 AM

lets repeat what Louis told you before...

To find out much info about your system...

Start/Run...type msinfo32 and hit Enter.

Total Physical Memory (right window) is your RAM installed.

The command chkdsk /r must be typed exactly as I have typed it, with space between k and /.

Louis

Edited by abauw, 30 July 2010 - 03:38 AM.

#12 devilspride2k1

devilspride2k1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2010 - 12:27 PM

Hi as I said before, upon run...msinfo32, my total physical memory is 512MB and i have run chkdsk /r

#13 devilspride2k1

devilspride2k1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2010 - 03:30 PM

|Hi Louis

Thanx so much for you patience, during this, I was not expecting my daughter to go in til at least the fall. A quick slot came up so couldnt say no.
I have completed the steps you gave me, and when you have time to look this over, I await your next advice

Kind Regards
Carla

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,896 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2010 - 04:23 PM

Soo...how is the system currently running?

Honestly, increasing the RAM would probably be best.

You never have told us the system manufacturer and model (or I missed it)...that should be reflected under msinfo32, System Manufacturer and System Model.

Louis

#15 devilspride2k1

devilspride2k1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2010 - 02:50 PM

Hi Ya , to be perfectly honest things seem to be back to normal..which is a little mad...but good mad lol!!! I have had several tabs active at same time last 2 nights and all seems well.... except your instructions I followed no others, and for some reason everything seems good. I guess there isnt much else you can tell me , other than to increase RAM as you said....but can I ask, is the chkdsk/ r a repair procedure, or is it just for information purposes?? I am so very grateful for your help.

As a last minute thought, checked system properties and it says I have a Compaq Presario, Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.80GHz...2.80GHz 512MB of RAM...not sure if this is any help but better to include than not !! lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users