Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Page files going crazy

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 djlurch

djlurch

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 22 July 2010 - 12:06 PM

My page file is running at almost 1GB. AVG doesnt find anything, spybot found the vundo virus but said it got rid of it and cant find it any more, adaware doesnt see anything. Ive tried the vundofix from atribune and VirtumundoBeGone.exe and they dont see anything as well. My PC is alot slower than normal and keep in mind I have been a desktop support guy for 12 years and I cant believe it but Im lost. Normally I would just format and re-install but I would like kick this viruses butt(not to mention the fleeb that wrote it lol).

Any help would be appreciated.

EDIT: Removed HJT log, inappropriate for XP forum, no indication of malware issue, many pagefiles are in excess of 1GB (including mine) ~ Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 22 July 2010 - 01:06 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 22 July 2010 - 01:33 PM

first..
lets check your page file setting in your computer...
# Log on to the computer as Administrator.
# Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
# Click Performance and Maintenance, and then click System.
# Click the Advanced tab, and then under Performance, click Settings.
and then under Virtual memory see how much is your page file...

if you want to change it...
# Log on to the computer as Administrator.
# Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
# Click Performance and Maintenance, and then click System.
# Click the Advanced tab, and then under Performance, click Settings.
# Click the Advanced tab, and then under Virtual memory, click Change.
# In the Drive [Volume Label] list, click a drive other than the one on which Windows is installed (Windows is usually installed on the drive C). Under Total paging file size for all drives, note the value that is displayed next to Recommended.
# Click Custom size, and then type the recommended value in the Initial size (MB) box.
# Type the maximum size that you want to allow for paging in the Maximum size (MB) box, and then click Set.
# In the Drive [Volume Label] box, click the drive on which Windows is installed (usually the drive C), and then use one of the following steps:

* If you do not want a paging file on the drive, click No paging file, and then click Set. A message similar to the following message appears:
If the pagefile on volume C: has an initial size of less than 126 megabytes, then the system may not be able to create a debugging information file if a STOP error occurs.
Continue anyway?
* Click Yes.

* If you want to keep the minimum size of the paging file on the drive, click Custom size, and then type a value that is equal to or greater than the amount of RAM in the computer in the Initial size (MB) box. Type that same value in the Maximum size (MB) box, and then click Set.

# The following message appears:
The changes you have made require you to restart your computer before they can take effect.
Click OK, click OK, click OK, and then click Yes when you are prompted to restart the computer.

you can read in here...
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307886

Edited by abauw, 22 July 2010 - 01:34 PM.

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,088 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 22 July 2010 - 02:26 PM

FWIW: Over the various sytems I have owned...I find that letting XP manage the pagefile size...is superior to any other option.

Louis

#4 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 22 July 2010 - 02:53 PM

yups...
just to make sure djluch understand what he asked for...

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#5 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 22 July 2010 - 03:21 PM

Like hamluis said, 1GB pagefiles aren't at all rare. Mine is for example, at this very moment, 2GB.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users