Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lost Network Connection And Internet

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 MBod

MBod

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 22 October 2005 - 04:48 PM

Hi, I am new at this so please forgive any miss-steps. My problem is that I have lost my network connection and my internet on my wireless connection. About a year ago I step up a home network using a Linksys Router. I have one hard-wired connection for my desktop and one wireless connection for my laptop using a Linksys wireless adapter. About two weeks ago, I booted up my laptop only to find that it would not connect. I keep getting a message about "limited or no connectivity" and I haven't been able to do anything about it. I have exhausted my limited knowledge. I have tried various status IP address but the best I can do is to fix the network connection, but still no internet. Any help would be greatly appreciated. MBod

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,675 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 PM

Posted 24 October 2005 - 09:30 PM

Does the signal strength get better when you bring your laptop near the base station? Are you seeing your network as an available wireless network?

#3 MBod

MBod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2005 - 08:33 PM

The signal strength has never seemed to be an issue and most of the time that I have been working on it lately I have been right next to the router. My latest condition is that I can connect to the network, using a static IP per directions from Linksys' website, but I still cannot connect to the internet. I have a cable ISP and have the modem hooked into my router. I am just at a total loss as to the problem. Any help is appreciated. MBOD

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2005 - 08:52 PM

You said you are Static IP? Did you lose your connection after you went static, or have you always had a static IP?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,675 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 PM

Posted 26 October 2005 - 12:24 PM

Also if you go into the linksys admin there is a section , forgot where, that gives you the status of your connection. Are you getting a public ip address assigned to the router?

#6 MBod

MBod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2005 - 08:28 PM

I went static after the disconnect. Linksys' website suggested it. Unfortunately, I don't know enough about this whole process to know what I am looking at when I go into the admin of the router. Under the "login type" it says "automatic configuration - DHCP" and then gives an IP address. I don't know really know whether it is public or not, mostly because I don't know what that means. As you can see, I am in a world of hurt here. I think I am in over my head. Should I call in an expert or do you think I can handle it with some coaching? I just appreciate your patience and assistance. Thanks, MBOD

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2005 - 09:55 PM

Most definitly you can handle it. When you went static did you write down the IP addresses from the route that were labeled DNS? In my Linksys router I have 3 different DNS IPs yours may only have two.
Also write down the default gateway. It may be 192.162.0.1 or 192.168.1.1
You can leave you router set for DHCP it won't effect anything.

Go to your NIC> TCP/IP>properties and plug the information in. In the DNS page the HOST is your computer name.
uncheck automaticly obtain IP DHCP and enter....

IP address :192.168.1.2 (should start 1 above the default gateway IP and no computer should have the same IP)

Subnet Mask :225.225.225.0 (Or whatever your router is configured)

Default Gateway :192.168.1.1 (What your router listed)

I am only giving you this because you have all ready attempted to go Static. Unless you have a reason to have a static IP network then DHCP is the way to go for a small network.
If you get stuck and want to go back, run the Network Configuration Wizard and set it back to automatic. Just don't disable DHCP on your router.
Static IP is not something the average user needs to know but it can be fun. Knowing is knowledge, and knowledge is good.
Have fun and post your results. :thumbsup:

#8 MBod

MBod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2005 - 09:14 AM

Should I leave my desktop alone or should I change it too, using a different IP? My desktop has worked all along. However, I do have a different issue with it that I will post as soon as I get this resolved.

In other words, should I have one computer on auto IP and the other static or should I change them both?
MBOD

#9 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2005 - 11:27 AM

As long as the router is DHCP it should not make a difference. It took me several days (I'm slow) to move from a DHCP configuration to Static, but I left my router DHCP and the LAN never knew the difference. I ran both static and DHCP computers. I am not all static.
Are you still having problems?

#10 MBod

MBod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2005 - 01:17 PM

Well, I am sure that I did something wrong. I set the laptop to all the setting based on my router. I also used my desktop as a guide by checking some of the same settings in it. But now, I am not even seeing the network again.
Unfortunately, I think that I need someone to walk me through every single step necessary to fix this problem.
The sad part is that I didn't realize how much I was relying on my laptop connection, until I couldn't use it anymore. Now I am extremely frustrated. I would call in a professional but I plan to be moving soon and I will have to set my network up again with a different ISP and I don't want to fix it now and then have the same problem with a different ISP later.

#11 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2005 - 01:47 PM

Are both computers on the same work group. I would recommend you use the same workgroup as at work. That way you don't have to change back when you go to work.

#12 MBod

MBod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2005 - 09:56 PM

Yes, both computers are (or at least were) on the same workgroup. In fact, the laptop is a personal; I don't even take it to work.

#13 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2005 - 12:57 AM

EDIT: removed

Edited by acklan, 31 October 2005 - 01:00 AM.

#14 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2005 - 01:05 AM

Run the Network Wizard and set everything back to automatic (DHCP).At least for now. I'll talk you through Static IP later if you have to have it. Most don't need it. Put both on automatic.

#15 MBod

MBod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2005 - 10:04 PM

OK, I went into the Network Connection properties, TCP/IP properties and set everything to automatic. I then went into the Linksys program for the wireless adapter and made sure it was on automatic. I am still getting nothing at this time. Is there any other place I should look? The more I fool with this, the more I realize that I don't know enough and I might have really screwed things up. But I am willing to keep trying. Thanks for the help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users