Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New video card help

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 WoWGamer

WoWGamer

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 22 July 2010 - 06:41 AM

I just had this computer given to me and want to get it upgraded so my wife can play World of Warcraft as well.

http://www.datavis.com/Acer-Aspire-X1300-X...-3GB-320GB.html

This computer has a very small case, and a weak power supply (225W)

I am looking for maybe somebody that has this computer or is familiar with it, I want to upgrade the video card and stay with Nvidia. Any help whatsoever would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2010 - 11:39 AM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

I checked the link you provided above.

I am providing you with a link to the Acer Aspire X1300 desktop.

http://support.acer.com/us/en/acerpanam/de...reX1300nv.shtml

First of all I would invest in a power supply that has a higher output rating.

Below is the specifications on your system.

http://support.acer.com/acerpanam/desktop/...eX1300sp2.shtml

What you need is a low profile PCI-E video card. Here's your specs. PCI Express® 2.0 x16 graphics card support (low-profile)

Here is a link to newegg for low profile graphics cards, you can look through the cards on this page for ideas.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....e+graphics+card

Here is a link to newegg for ATX power supplies, you should pick one that has a minimum of 550 Watts or more rating.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....p;x=14&y=31

You should be looking at what you can afford in your budget for whats listed and then ask for recommendations on what you feel you can afford.

Bruce.

If you have any questions please ask.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 22 July 2010 - 11:41 AM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 WoWGamer

WoWGamer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2010 - 02:28 PM

Thank You for your input. I will take a look at what you have told me to look through. My problem is the power supply currently installed is very small and long and looks like none of the ones on the page will fit. I think this might be a propritary power supply?

#4 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 PM

Posted 22 July 2010 - 09:39 PM

You are correct, that is not an ATX spec PSU. Try a "Mini ITX". Finding a mini ITX with any decent power will likely be a chore.

I know you don't want to hear this, but upgrading this system may not be worth it. Is the onboard video just too weak to cope with the graphics, or is there another problem, like memory, slugging it down?

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#5 WoWGamer

WoWGamer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2010 - 07:50 AM

Thank you for your help. I have never installed a video card or even opened up a PC before. After finding out Best Buy and Staples wanted $69.00 to install it I decided to go ahead and try myself. I have purchased a Nvidia Geforce 220. Last night after watching a video on YouTube I installed it with success. This was actually very easy. $69.00 bucks what a rip off. Turned the computer on hoping I didnt blow anything up and viola started right up and automatically installed itself. The 220GT lists a system requirement of a 300watt power supply, mine is a 250 watt power supply. So far I have not had any problems, I just wanted to thank you all for your help and support.

#6 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 PM

Posted 23 July 2010 - 08:01 PM

The 220GT lists a system requirement of a 300watt power supply, mine is a 250 watt power supply. So far I have not had any problem

Cutting it close, I'd say. Moreover, I'm guessing this is the generic 250W PSU that came with the case?

Edited by ReviverSoft, 23 July 2010 - 08:01 PM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#7 RainbowSix

RainbowSix

• Members
  • 604 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2010 - 01:19 AM

Cutting it close, I'd say. Moreover, I'm guessing this is the generic 250W PSU that came with the case?

I would assume no.

This computer has a very small case, and a weak power supply (225W)

Edited by RainbowSix, 25 July 2010 - 01:19 AM.

[ Antec 1200 v3 | Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 rev. 3.1 | AMD Phenom II x6 1090T (overclocked to 4GHz) | Corsair XMS3 4x4GB DDR3 1600 | COOLER MASTER Silent Pro 600W & Visiontek Juice Box 450W | SAMSUNG 470 Series 64GB SSD | WD Caviar Black 640GB & Samsung Spinpoint 2TB HDD | 2x XFX Radeon HD 5770 in Crossfire | SAMSUNG 22X DVD±RW | Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit]

CompTIA A+ certified
Stringfellow Electronics

#8 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 PM

Posted 25 July 2010 - 03:11 AM

^ Whoops, missed that.

Anyway, the official specs rate it at 220W. :thumbsup:

Edited by ReviverSoft, 25 July 2010 - 03:12 AM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users