Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Antivirus and browser for old Macs

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Hotter Than July

Hotter Than July

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 AM

Posted 22 July 2010 - 09:37 AM

My sister and I have been working on 2 old Macs (an LC 580 running Mac OS 7.5 and a LC 575 running Mac OS 7.5.1) we are trying to hook up to the internet. She already knows how to hook them up to the internet, I am just worried abut what antivirus we would need. Would we need an old antivirus (on the disk for Gizmos and Gadgets there are install files for AOL and some old 90's antivirus) or a new one?? Also, what browsers could we use? I was thinking Safari or Opera, but I would just like to see what you guys think.
"Snake, you have to use the control panel."

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,457 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 AM

Posted 22 July 2010 - 11:59 AM

Well i would not even think of using an antivirus on a computer with that slow of a processor plus you are running a mac os operating system that is quite old, you should be fine, as for the browser I would go with safari, Those cant be that fast though, I'm a mac guy and I wouldnt even dare using those for the internet everyday they are too slow but that is my opinion.

So to recap:

1. no Antivirus needed
2. safari or opera which ever is faster.

There will be another opinion coming your way some time either in a few hours or tonight by our other resident mac poster. (i'm #2 :blink:

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

#3 Hotter Than July

Hotter Than July
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 AM

Posted 22 July 2010 - 01:40 PM

Ok thanks. I wasn't thinking about regular internet use, but more of occasionally putting them on the internet, or even see if they could handle it. My sister's main goal is to put them on the internet to prove that they still have the potential to do so.
"Snake, you have to use the control panel."

#4 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,457 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 AM

Posted 22 July 2010 - 04:20 PM

Well they still will be able to go on the internet but they will be deathly slow, especially because they are running on only base t10 ethernet meaning only running 10 mbps on speed. Also with the slow processor the ability to process most modern webpage images will greatly slow down the browsing. You would be better off using something newer those just wont be usable.

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

#5 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 693 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 PM

Posted 22 July 2010 - 09:32 PM

http://main.system7today.com/otherbrowsers.html
Using older browsers probably wouldn't render any of the current the pages very well.

#6 davidanders

davidanders

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 PM

Posted 29 July 2010 - 06:33 PM

Safari is not an option - requires OSX.
Internet Explorer 5 would work as would the older browers listed on
http://www.pure-mac.com/webb.html
David Anders
The Computer Guy, Seattle