Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is Your Hard Drive Smart?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jauburn

jauburn

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 22 October 2005 - 03:19 PM

Just found out mine was last week. Got a message on bootup that the drive was in need of service. I ignored the message.

Guess what? The drive died today. Ahhhh!!!! Took me all day to recover, and I'm still not there.

So I guess SMART is SMART. Found this handy Q&A in case you don't know what SMART is.

Smart hard drive FAQ

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 PM

Posted 22 October 2005 - 06:13 PM

I love it :thumbsup: .

Oops.. sorry to hear about your drive crashing :flowers:

:trumpet: to BC
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Gothmog

Gothmog

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2005 - 12:56 AM

haha, hilarious burn. get topic title, ur as good as the guy who writes headlines for the Times.

I feel ur pain burn. I had a HD die on me a while back, luckily it was only the secondary drive that had everything i cared about on it and not the one with the OS... unfortunately i dont believe mine was SMART at all, i think it was borderline, erm, 'special'. the only sign it gave me it was gonna fail was maknig loud clicking noises on reads and seeks for two days.

anyways peace and keep up the witty posts!

#4 keystrokes

keystrokes

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2005 - 08:57 PM

you know what I never paid attention to the smart feature for my HD. I think its turned off. I always thought it was an old feature..LOL

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,397 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 PM

Posted 25 October 2005 - 03:02 AM

My computer stopped in the POST to annouce that SMART was bad, looked up a definition for SMART and immediately started backing up my files. The hard drive had the decency to die after I finished transferring all of my important files to CDs. I commiserate with your lose.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users