Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer becomes non-responsive, notably with the opening of Firefox (The screen freezes, though the mouse does not.)

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 lovelyskye

lovelyskye

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 AM

Posted 22 July 2010 - 04:14 AM

Hi! If anyone could help me with my problem I would be infinitely grateful.

I'm usually pretty good at removing viruses by doing an internet search to target my problem but this one completely baffles me and I'm panicking a bit!

I'm using Windows Vista. So about an hour ago my computer started slowing down as it expected when I have been running my computer for many hours, with a lot of windows and programs opened up. So I restarted my computer and tried to reopen Firefox. It redirected me to a screen that told me my Firefox had been updated and that's when my computer becomes non-responsive. The mouse/pointer moves freely but when I click anywhere on the screen, nothing happens. (For example, usually buttons become beveled or highlighted on mouseover but on my possibly-infected computer this does not occur). Typing anything on the keyboard does not generated a response either (I tried doing alt+tab to see if I could switch windows. I tried doing ctrl+alt+delete).

Interestingly, I can still eject the CD-driver by pressing the button on the side of my computer...That works. Otherwise, all I can do is hold down the power button with my finger until the screen turns off.

I have nothing popping up on the screen though. No windows or random programs to indicate that I have some sort of rogue program.

What I have tried:
Starting the computer in safe mode (without networking). After everything loaded, I did not try to open up Firefox. Instead, the first thing I did was open my antivirus program -- Avast Antivirus (*NOTE Avast window showed a header which told me that there existed a problem with my protection. I don't remember exactly what the notice said but there was a link to try and "fix" the problem -- nothing happened when I clicked it) I started a full system scan and it seemed to be progressing normally. The scan was proceeding at about 130 MB/sec? But about 45 minutes into the scan (with 9% done), I noticed that the "number of files scanned" was no longer rising. Time was accumulating, but files were not being scanned. The speed dropped to 16 MB/sec but even then I would have expected that at least ONE file would be scanned in the duration of 5 minutes. I tried to PAUSE the scan and nothing happened: I clicked the pause button but the anti-virus program became non-responsive; the mouse did not turn into a revolving wheel to signal a process occuring...just, nothing happened. Moving my mouse over different buttons on the anti-virus didn't cause the button to highlight or bevel like it should have. Instead I tried to click outside the window and I initially I could switch between windows (I also had a "help" window open) but after a few times switching around to test the responsiveness, that froze too. Eventually I was left with a screen that could not change: the windows were "stuck" even though the pointer was still mobile for some reason. When I positioned the mouse over any of the windows it was a "pointer" but when I moved it down to the start bar it became a never-ending hourglass wheel.

I left it still for a few minutes, and I saw that the time read 3:44, though the infected laptop read 3:28 (so I'm assuming it froze). I wanted to press the "start" button to shut the computer down but the bar did not pop up; I had to force shut it off by holding down the power key.

Right now I'm extremely concerned because evening running an anti-virus failed me, so I'm not sure what options I have. I'm afraid to start the computer again lest I make the problem worse. I'm also worried because there is no indication of what the infection might be called.

Thank you!

Edited by lovelyskye, 22 July 2010 - 04:28 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users