Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Outlook Express Isn't Connecting To Download E-mail

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Spirit Adept

Spirit Adept

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 AM

Posted 22 October 2005 - 03:00 PM

Ok, I started up outlook express two days ago and it starts trying to connect so it can download new e-mail. I waited 5 min and it still didn't connected. It was working fine a few days ago before then and the only thing i have done so far is run a scan on the computer, but that was after it stopped working.

About after every 5 minutes, a window pops up and says that it can't connect to the POP3 server and to try again.

Please help, this is affecting everyone's Outlook express account to the computer.

Edited by Spirit Adept, 22 October 2005 - 03:04 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 AM

Posted 22 October 2005 - 03:34 PM

Have you checked to make sure your Account settings haven't changed?
Open Outlook Express.
Click Tools.
Select Accounts...
Under the Mail tab, highlite your account, then click the Properties button.
Click the Servers tab, and make sure the information in there is correct.

You will need the following information from your Internet service provider (ISP) or local area network (LAN) administrator:

For e-mail accounts, you'll need to know the type of e-mail server you use (POP3, IMAP, or HTTP), your account name and password, the name of the incoming e-mail server and, for POP3 and IMAP, the name of an outgoing e-mail server.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Spirit Adept

Spirit Adept
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2005 - 03:46 PM

I looked up what you said to check. Should the incoming mail address and outgoing mail address be the same?

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 AM

Posted 22 October 2005 - 06:45 PM

If your using pop3, your incoming should be something like:
pop3.Your ISP's name

Your outgoing, something like:
smtp.your ISP's name

If you're having problems setting it up, call your ISP, and they should be able to help you get it straightened out.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 trailman

trailman

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 23 October 2005 - 08:36 PM

I'm having the same problem - OE won't connect to the smtp server. Here's the initial message I get: "Your smtp server has not responded in 60 seconds. Would you like to wait."

The error message: "A time out occurred while communicating with the server. Server pop.central.cox.net, Protocol POP3, Port:110, Secure (SSL): No, Error number 0x800CCC19"

I created a new email identity. It appeared to be succesfully registered/identified by Outlook Express (I got the standard email from MSN that recognized the new identity. I switched identities, received the usual error message I copied above, switched identities to the new identity and encountered the same problem and recieved the same error message.

Next I restarted the computer, deleted temporary internet files, compacted folders and reregistered Outlook Express. I went reregister libraries: regsvr32 urimon.dll failed "specific module could not be found." I was successful with mshtml.dll, shdocvw.dll, browseui.dll and msjava.dll

Next I went to Google and turned up Registry Fix, downloaded RegistryFix, paid $37, scanned my computer, it turned up 700+ errors and fixed all but 103 fonts (that apparently aren't installed on my computer.)

My next step was to go back to Google where I found this forum.

Suggestions from here?

#6 PistonBroke

PistonBroke

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 AM

Posted 08 January 2006 - 10:20 AM

hi,

I have the same problem and have posted a message in another thread before I discovered this one.

Did you have any luck? Is the problem fixed and if so, how?

PB

#7 clank

clank

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2006 - 10:50 AM

Hi all.

Must be catching I have the same problem it started about 2 weeks ago,
I use OE with windows xp and SP2

after trying to connect to my pop 3 server via OE get the same error message as the others
so connect to the net via my Internet Explorer and after about 5 minuted re open OE and it works fine,

Another strange thing that's happened at the same time is that windows suddenly takes for ages to shut down, only after a END PROGRAM CCP APPS comes on the screen, does it close down

Clank :thumbsup:

#8 hannah

hannah

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 10 January 2006 - 09:58 AM

Hello

This is my first post.
I have exactly the same problem.

A time-out occurred while communicating with the server. , Error Number: 0x800CCC19

I have been unable to receive or send messages in Outlook Express for almost a week. At the same time my windows wouldn't shut down properly, but that problem has disappeared on its own.

I contacted my ISP and they said it was an microsoft problem.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

#9 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2006 - 10:10 AM

Hannah/and others: Could you please create a new topic. Every problem may be a little different.

Thanks.

Edited by Joshuacat, 10 January 2006 - 10:11 AM.

JC

#10 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2006 - 12:21 PM

I suggest two simple steps.
1. Go on-line and make sure there is not a very large Email or perhaps one that is corrupt (you may not be able to open it) that needs to be deleted. Often deleting the messages in the on-line inbox can help.
2. Verify every value in your POP account, including servers and passwords, against the information provided by the Email provider/ISP.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#11 clank

clank

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2006 - 02:15 PM

Hi All Good news

Did a Norton Internet Security Live Update today at 3pm, automatically Down loaded what was there, It was a security settings update for The Person Firewall and Yes my problem has gone, so it was them in the first place that caused the problem.. The other problem with receiving and sending E mails has also been fixed.

Hope this helps others.

Clank :thumbsup:

#12 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2006 - 03:48 PM

Thanks for taking the time to let us know what worked for you. This may help many other members with the same problem, especially if they have Norton.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users