Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Replacement for my hard drive

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 stinkybuba

stinkybuba

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 AM

Posted 22 July 2010 - 02:29 AM

I had a trusty Dell laptop that was a inspiron 8600 for about 8 years. I know its really old and all that but I was wondering what type of hard drive replacements are recommended for my laptop? I know im supposed to get a 2.5 inch sized hard drive but I'm not sure what brand, size, or price i should get it at. Also I'm wondering what are some good places i can get something like this?(websites, stores)?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 matt08

matt08

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 PM

Posted 22 July 2010 - 02:46 AM

According to cnet review, your hard drive should be an "IDE" hard drive and not the new "SATA" type. Just go any IT shop near your house and buy a "IDE" 2.5 inch internal hard drive. The RPM(spin speed) should be at least 5400 rpm or 7200 rpm. size should be 160Gb or more. Nowadays they don't really sell those with 40Gb or 80Gb anymore. Price depends. 160Gb with 5400rpm should cost around 30 USD. Brand depends on individual preference. On the market there are Western Digital, Fujitsu, Seagate, Samsung, Toshiba etc...

One thing to take note, make sure you have the recovery disk before you purchase the new hard drive.

Edited by matt08, 22 July 2010 - 03:02 AM.

#3 strolln

strolln

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 AM

Posted 22 July 2010 - 04:19 AM

If your current HDD is still in good working order then instead of using the recovery disks when you install the new drive, clone the existing drive. That way you won't lose any data or need to re-install any of your software. Here is an example of a kit that includes everything you need to clone your existing drive and when you are done you can use the old drive as an external drive for backups and such. EZ Upgrade kit

Edited by strolln, 22 July 2010 - 04:20 AM.

To Err is human; to really foul things up requires a Bleeping Computer!

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 AM

Posted 22 July 2010 - 11:25 AM

Websites worth checking out pricing, etc...include www.newegg.com and www.tigerdirect.com.

You can also use the www.bizrate.com website for general comparisons.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 23 July 2010 - 12:09 PM.

#5 stinkybuba

stinkybuba
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2010 - 01:35 AM

the problem is that i think the hard drive is failing since i can only succesfully turn on my computer about 3% of the time... its like most of the time when i turn it on it crashes before it even gets past the windows loading screen

#6 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 PM

Posted 23 July 2010 - 02:47 AM

are you really sure that your problem is the hardrive???
about the crashes...you cant reinstalling window first before you change the hardrive...
maybe it just software (windows) failure not hardrive failure....

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#7 stinkybuba

stinkybuba
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2010 - 11:34 PM

Its that i cant even turn on the computer... Like nothing will show up on the screen. I press the oower button, battery fully charged, and the commuter just wont turn on

#8 strolln

strolln

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 AM

Posted 24 July 2010 - 09:33 AM

You started out saying the computer crashes before loading the Windows screen, now you say the laptop won't power up at all. :thumbsup:

Have you tried jiggling the plug for the AC adapter? That's one of the most trouble prone parts of a laptop because of plugging/replugging, tripping over the cord, etc... It could be that the wires are broken inside the plastic jacket or it might be the jack has been broken off the motherboard and things only work intermittently.
To Err is human; to really foul things up requires a Bleeping Computer!

#9 boethe

boethe

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2010 - 09:42 AM

If you look at stinkybuba's topics, he/she got the idea of replacing the hard drive in another thread. That was the recommendation based on the symptoms described there. I didn't have time to review the other thread but it may be best to keep the diagnosis to that thread and keep this thread focused on the question of what is a good recommendation for a laptop harddrive.

#10 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2010 - 04:30 PM

sorry if I dont notice another thread...
but I think crashed not only because hardware failure...its can because software failure...in this case corrupted OS or maybe because the OS has been installed for a couple of years....

please try a fresh install of your OS before replace your hardrive...
but if you still want to replace your hardrive...its your choice...

#11 boethe

boethe

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2010 - 07:38 AM

Well the level of discussion on the other thread was not deep, but it may be the better place to explore the question of the diagnosis.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/314519/laptop-freezing-randomly/

#12 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2010 - 08:16 AM

sorry for not notice that thread...
I just notice stinkybuba statement on this thread...
if the hardrive have to replace...lets him decide it...
but dont forgot his statement about this...

the problem is that i think the hard drive is failing since i can only succesfully turn on my computer about 3% of the time... its like most of the time when i turn it on it crashes before it even gets past the windows loading screen

Its that i cant even turn on the computer... Like nothing will show up on the screen. I press the oower button, battery fully charged, and the commuter just wont turn on

I think hardrive failure will be ended up like this...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users