Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System failure

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Griggle

Griggle

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 AM

Posted 22 July 2010 - 12:51 AM

Several days ago my computer abruptly shut off citing a problem with the system file and after several days of attempts to fix i took one of the windows operating system CD's we had lying around and used it to reinstall. Upon booting up (which i've noticed is taking significantly longer than usual) i am greeted with a clean desktop and a recycle bin.

My problem lies in my attempts to connect to the internet first although we had previously set up a LAN with Charter internet whenever i try to automatically detect it NO LAN options appear at all and the network setup wizard is 100% unresponsive (upon clicking nothing occurs even after multiple attempts)

I have also received a run dll error which i cannot replicate but may provide additional info.

My computer is also not reading my sound device even though it has been plugged in for the duration of the problem.

so as it stands my computer is merely for show.

I'd like to listen to music but connection to the internet (so i can verify the copy of windows) is my top priority

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 22 July 2010 - 04:36 AM

have you installed all of your hardware driver???
if not....not wonder you have that problem...

can you tell what type of PC you use??? brand and type...

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#3 Griggle

Griggle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2010 - 05:41 PM

well it's an ibm but there's no trace of that now`intel pentium 4 cpu... i don't really know what to tell you about type
the hardware drivers disc isn't being read in any way as when i click it nothing occurs. I tried to re-reinstall but the xp disc keeps telling me that d:\i386\winntupg\netupgrd.dll cannot be found

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 22 July 2010 - 05:56 PM

Are you using disks from Lenovo/IBM...to attempt this install?

Louis

#5 Griggle

Griggle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2010 - 06:00 PM

no, after i formatted it i used the windows xp discs i had already had because i didn't have any other suitable discs

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 22 July 2010 - 08:30 PM

Well...I guess my question, to be more precise...is what is the origin of the disk you used?

Microsoft CD, other OEM CD...just what is it?

Seems to me that what you cite as a "system failure" may just be using something that was inappropriate for install on that system.

And...if you did not do a clean install...that just compounds the probability that your efforts would be ineffective, IMO.

Louis

#7 Griggle

Griggle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2010 - 09:13 PM

*reading off disc*

Operating system cd
microsoft windows xp home edition service pack 2
contains software and drivers already installed for software reinstallation and repair only

i was trying to repair what i believed to be a damaged system file using this disc which, didn't work so i was left with the option to format and install from this disc

#8 Griggle

Griggle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2010 - 01:50 AM

Looking at it now i'd like to ask if there is a driver package of the essentials because my install seems to be lacking in basic stuff like internet and sound drivers i'm using service pack 2 until i can get access to the internet on that computer

#9 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 24 July 2010 - 02:15 AM

can you tell what type of PC you use??? brand and type...

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#10 Griggle

Griggle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2010 - 10:47 AM

it's an IBM think centre with an intel processor designed for windows xp onto a different problem i'm stuck in an infinite loop because the computer is trying to run windows xp setup but the computer is on safeboot so they keep clashing and restarting

#11 Griggle

Griggle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2010 - 12:14 PM

i found a solution to this problem and now i have full access to the desktop and it's functions however, for some reason none of the drivers are working and i don't know how to replace them without being connected to windows update (which i can't connect to because it isn't detecting the wired modem)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users