Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows cannot access the specified device, path, etc..

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 PRoberts

PRoberts

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 22 July 2010 - 12:39 AM

Hey Bleepingcomputer,

Was just browsing for the past few hours, and I had not downloaded anything incriminating all night... Yet out of nowhere, in the corner of my eye, I see a window flashing named "Antimalware Defender." Of course, I had forgotten to start up my Spybot today and for that split second... something infects.

This wasn't too bad of a problem at first. I did my Spybot scans, google searches on how to remove this pesky thing, and I was sure my entire hard drive was clean. However, that was not the case. It kept popping up. My Spybot was telling me about startup changes for random named exes which I denied ad nauseam. I knew I had to take more action and I was directed to Rkill.exe and MalwareBytes.

I tried to install and run these programs.

"Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."

So I try it on safe mode, in the admin account. Same prompt comes up.

I read up some more and learn that this isn't a new issue, and that all I needed to do was save it as something other than the default name.

HOWEVER, I still get that prompt even after renaming it before I save it to my hard drive.

I would get hijackthis logs and everything you guys would need to figure out how to get rid of this, but unfortunately, I just can't open any new exe files. I can't download them in iexplorer, but I use Chrome anyways, and can download them fine there. But still, I cannot actually run them.

I have Windows XP SP3. Not sure what other information I can really provide. I hope you can help me out! Thanks a ton.

-P Ro

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 26 July 2010 - 06:31 PM

Try this:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-remo...sing-tdsskiller
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users