Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Infected with malware...

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 adrock2099

adrock2099

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 PM

Posted 21 July 2010 - 09:58 PM

I'm using a Dell desktop with Windows XP Pro, and I got hit by a bunch of malware while cruising the interwebs. It completely locked up my computer, so I restarted it, but for some reason it wouldn't recognize my USB keyboard, even though everything else (my USB mouse, ipod, etc.) still worked fine.
After fiddling around, I discovered that it worked fine during the initial startup (when you can press F2 to get to the boot menu and such), but not after XP started and I needed to input my password to log into Windows. After even more messing about, I found that it works fine when I boot up in safe mode, so I did, downloaded malwarebytes and thought I got rid of the infection. Unfortunately, my computer still only recognizes the keyboard when in safe mode (which is where I'm typing this from). Anyone have any idea as to what's wrong / how to fix it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:11:03 AM

Posted 21 July 2010 - 10:04 PM

You have posted about the same issue here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/333140/infected-with-malware-now-keyboard-wont-work/ in Am I Infected.

That post was made on July 19th, and I see that it has not been responded to.

In order to help you, it's best to keep everything related to the issue in one place.

Since I am not a malware removal expert, the best thing I can do is ask for someone who is to take a look at your AII post AND have this one closed.

edit to add: I've put out a call for someone to look at your topic in AII.

Those who are dedicated to helping people with malware issues do their best to respond in a timely manner. Unfortunately, due to the number of HELP posts, some get overlooked.

Hopefully one of them will respond to you very soon.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 21 July 2010 - 10:13 PM.

#3 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,704 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 PM

Posted 22 July 2010 - 01:08 AM

As Queen-Evie mentioned above, this topic is a duplicate of http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/333140/infected-with-malware-now-keyboard-wont-work/

Please note that double posting is not permitted on this board. In order to minimize confusion for both members and the staff, please refrain from creating more than one topic on a particular issue.

This topic is closed, and will vanish sometime in the next 24 hours.

~Blade
Forum Moderator

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users