Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Not quite sure if im infected

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Bassplayer15

Bassplayer15

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 21 July 2010 - 09:51 PM

Lately, I've noticed that my computer seems to be running slower than usual. I run AVG everyday and update it everyday. The first thing that has me worried is that when i check the scan history for AVG as of December 12th 2009 I've had no infections, spyware, warnings (what AVG classifies tracking cookies under), or rootkits. Now normally this would be a good thing, but I expect tracking cookies to be on the computer. Whenever I use the internet I use Firefox with Ghostery installed, yet when others use the computer they use IE and Chrome. So this leads me to believe that tracking cookies should be expected on the computer. Lastly, windows defender acts very strange. I had tried turning it on before I posted this thread a window popped up saying Windows Defender was off, and it provided the link to turn it on (similar to the links provided in Windows Help) Now nothing happened until about 20 minutes later when in the middle of writing this post Windows Defender suddenly opened. I know it should not take that long to open. Those are the things that worry me. If any additional information is needed please feel free to request it. Thanks
Grace is given freely, but respect must be earned.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,590 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 PM

Posted 22 July 2010 - 11:26 AM

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (v1.46) and save it to your desktop.Download Link 1
Download Link 2
MBAM may "make changes to your registry" as part of its disinfection routine. If using other security programs that detect registry changes (ie Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere or alert you. Temporarily disable such programs or permit them to allow the changes.
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
    For instructions with screenshots, please refer to the How to use Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Guide.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.
  • If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
  • If you encounter any problems while downloading the definition updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
On the Scanner tab:
  • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
  • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
Back at the main Scanner screen:
  • Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply. Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows MBAM's database version and your operating system.
  • Exit MBAM when done.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be asked to reboot your computer so MBAM can proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.You can also get a second opinion by performing an Online Virus Scan like:
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Bassplayer15

Bassplayer15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2010 - 06:57 AM

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.46
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 4340

Windows 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2
Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18928

7/23/2010 7:52:31 AM
mbam-log-2010-07-23 (07-52-31).txt

Scan type: Quick scan
Objects scanned: 148251
Time elapsed: 8 minute(s), 17 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 3
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{3aa42713-5c1e-48e2-b432-d8bf420dd31d} (Rogue.AntiVirus2008) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{1a26f07f-0d60-4835-91cf-1e1766a0ec56} (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Trymedia Systems (Adware.TryMedia) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

Here is the log. It says under the OS Internet explorer, i'm assuming that is there to tell you the default browser. But i know that 9 times out of 10 only firefox and chrome are used on this PC. Also i noticed that Malwarebytes scanned 100,000+ items whereas AVG only scans 60,000+ didn't know if that could be relevant. Also as my last question I was wondering if I should keep Malwarebytes installed and run it, AVG, and Windows Defender to keep my computer secure or if that would cause problems. Thanks for all your help.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,590 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2010 - 09:13 PM

Did you perform one of the online scans? If so, did it find/remove anything?

The speed and ability to complete an anti-virus or anti-malware scan depends on a variety of factors.
  • The program itself and how its scanning engine is designed to scan: using a signature database vs heuristic scanning or a combination of both.
  • Options to scan for spyware, adware, riskware and potentially unwanted programs (PUPS).
  • Options to scan memory, boot sectors, registry and alternate data streams (ADS).
  • Type of scan performed: Deep, Quick or Custom scanning.
  • What action has to be performed when malware is detected.
  • A computer's hard drive size.
  • Disk used capacity (number of files to include temporary files) that have to be scanned.
  • Types of files (.exe, .dll, .sys, .cab, archived, compressed, packed, email, etc) that are scanned.
  • Whether external drives are included in the scan.
  • Competition for and utilization of system resources by the scanner.
  • Other running processes and programs in the background.
  • Interference from malware.
  • Interference from the user.
Note:Using two security scanning engines at the same time can cause each to interfere with the other, cause systems hangs, false detections, unreliable results and other unpredictable behavior.

To speed up your scans, uninstall unnecessary programs, clean out the temporary files or use ATF Cleaner first, temporarily disable any other real-time protection tools, close all open programs and do not use the computer during the scan. If the scan still seems slow or hangs, then try performing the scan in "safe mode".

I recommend Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and taking advantage of the Protection Module which uses advanced heuristic scanning technology to monitor your system and provide real-time protection to prevent the installation of most new malware. This technology monitors every process and stops malicious processes before they can infect your computer. Enabling the Protection Module feature requires reqistration and purchase of a license key that includes free lifetime upgrades and support. After activation, Malwarebytes can be set to update itself and schedule scans automatically on a daily basis. The Protection Module is not intrusive as it utilizes few system resources and should not conflict with other scanners or anti-virus programs.

Edited by quietman7, 23 July 2010 - 09:16 PM.

#5 Bassplayer15

Bassplayer15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2010 - 09:20 AM

I did not run an online scan, and concerning your note. Does it mean that having to different security scanning engines scanning at the same time or just merely running in the background? Also, concerning what malwarebytes found, am i good to go? Or are there other steps I need to take to get rid of any infection that I might have? Thanks for all of your help.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,590 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2010 - 10:42 AM

concerning what malwarebytes found, am i good to go? Or are there other steps I need to take to get rid of any infection that I might have?

You need to perform an online scan. No single product is 100% foolproof and can prevent, detect and remove all threats at any given time.

concerning your note. Does it mean that having to different security scanning engines scanning at the same time or just merely running in the background?

Both. Using two security scanning engines at the same time can cause each to interfere with the other, cause systems hangs, false detections, unreliable results and other unpredictable behavior.

As a general rule, using more than one anti-spyware program like Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, SuperAntispyware, Spybot S&D, Ad-Aware, etc will not conflict with each other or your anti-virus if using only one of them for real time protection and others as stand-alone scanners. In fact, doing so increases your protection coverage without causing the same kind of conflicts or affecting the stability of your system that can occur when using more than one anti-virus. The overlap of protection from using different signature databases will aid in detection and removal of more threats when scanning your system for malware. However, if using all their real-time resident shields (TeaTimer, Ad-Watch, MBAM Protection Module, Spyware Terminator Shields, etc) together at the same time, there can be conflicts when each application tries to compete for resources and exclusive rights to perform an action. Additionally, competing tools may even provide redundant alerts which can be annoying and/or confusing.

#7 Bassplayer15

Bassplayer15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2010 - 11:49 AM

Okay, thanks. I'll try to make sure i run one of those online scans today. Thanks once more for your help.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,590 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2010 - 12:00 PM

You're welcome.