Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why wont my laptop turn on?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 mandymariee

mandymariee

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 PM

Posted 21 July 2010 - 08:34 PM

Operating System: Windows XP

Okay, so a couple of months ago my Dell Latitude D810 worked fine. Then I noticed it stopped charging.. I used it until it went completly dead to 0% battery life. Now it wont turn on.

I want to know what it could be.

When I push the button on the battery, no lights come on.

When I plug in my computer to the outlet, weither the battery is in it or not, it does not turn on. I have tried different outlets.

On my A/C adapter, the green light is on (on the A/C adapter), but no lights are on, on the laptop...

So what do you think it is? The battery, the A/C adapter or something internally in the computer? Maybe what the A/C adapter plugs into?

I just want to know what part to buy... a new battery is expensive, so if it's not that, I don't want to buy it for no reason!

And how do I diagnose all these things, to see if they are bad?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 21 July 2010 - 09:16 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

First I'll link you to your Dell computer support page.

http://support.dell.com/support/DPP/Index....stemID=Latitude

You'll have to select the Dell Latitude D810 Model number your self and go there that way, because for some reason I can not get the URL to work properly from this forum.

There is a Support Video on this page once you get to the Dell Latitude D810 support page, which explains the proper care of the AC power adapter, it also explains how damage to the power plug can cause issues with the adapter lighting up, but not supplying power to the plug which may be damaged. Just click on the little video picture and watch the SUPPORT VIDEO.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 21 July 2010 - 09:25 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 mandymariee

mandymariee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2010 - 09:21 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

First I'll link you to your Dell Latitude D810 support main page.

http://support.dell.com/support/DPP/Index....stemID=Latitude D810

There is a Support Video on this page which explains the proper care of the AC power adapter, it also explains how damge to the power plug can cause issues with the adapter lighting up, but not supplying power to the plug which may be damaged. Just click on the little video picture and watch the SUPPORT VIDEO.

Bruce.

I can't go on there because I don't have a service tag #, since I bought my computer, used, from a guy who fixes them... and he (obviously) took it off because it is no where to be found.

Thanks for the answer.

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2010 - 09:28 PM

Sorry was having problems trying to link you to your support page the link kept failing to work here.

Use the box on the link above that says CHOOSE A MODEL it is the middle box, you do not need a service tag, just choose your model number.

Choose Laptop then select Latitude then scroll down till you see D810 then confirm it is the correct model number by clicking the green bars that say confirm.

If you copy and paste the link below to include the space between the number D810 and include the number D810 the copy and paste will work, however dell has a space in the URL and it does not work correctly with the space in the url here in this post, but copying and pasting the whole URL including the number D810 will work.

Here is the link again.

http://support.dell.com/support/DPP/Index....stemID=Latitude D810

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 21 July 2010 - 09:43 PM.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 strolln

strolln

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 PM

Posted 21 July 2010 - 09:53 PM

The light on your AC adapter indicates that the AC side is working but the DC side could have burnt out. It's possible that one of the wires is broken in the cable or the plug has failed. A fairly common occurrence for laptops is that the jack on the back of the laptop has broken off the board inside. It could also be some internal circuitry that has failed.

Unless you have a test meter and know how to use it you will have a hard time figuring out what the problem is. Do you know anyone that has the same model laptop? If so, then you could try your adapter on their laptop or their adapter on your laptop. If your laptop powers up with their adapter then you know your adapter is the problem.

If you can't borrow an adapter then you could buy one and try it. If the laptop powers up you're good. If not, then you know it is something to do with the laptop itself and you will probably need to take it to a shop to get it fixed. In that case, you might be able to return the adapter you bought.

In any case, you may have severely damaged your laptop battery by using it until it was 100% depleted. It may still charge but probably won't ever have the capacity it had before.
To Err is human; to really foul things up requires a Bleeping Computer!

#6 mandymariee

mandymariee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2010 - 10:13 PM

Unless you have a test meter and know how to use it you will have a hard time figuring out what the problem is. Do you know anyone that has the same model laptop? If so, then you could try your adapter on their laptop or their adapter on your laptop. If your laptop powers up with their adapter then you know your adapter is the problem.

Yeah, I was trying to test it earlier... I didn't really know what I was doing...

but now that you said there is 2 possible things to burn out... it may make sense...

I was getting activity when I did one thing.. but no activity on another... I don't know, hard to explain, when I don't know what exactly I'm talking about. lol.

Sense it just stopped charging, is it a higher possibility to be the A/C adapter?

I tried to plug my laptop in with a friends computer.. same type of plug.. but she has a HP and I don't know if it was the same voltage - point is, it didn't work - but I figured it wouldn't, since it was a different type of computer.

It's just so annoying. I can fix a computer, no problem - as long as it can start, but I have no idea how to diagnose the hardware problems.

MrBruce: I got it! lol sorry. Thanks!!

EDIT: Just bought an A/C adapter on eBay.. hopefully that's the problem -- an easy fix!

Edited by mandymariee, 21 July 2010 - 11:02 PM.

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2010 - 04:00 PM

You will probably find out it was the cord where it goes into the plug, which plugs into the laptop, those strain reliefs take a beating, but sometimes they give out and the wires become exposed and the wires break inside the rubber coating, that's what that support video was designed to explain, if those wires break, there is no way current can pass to the battery to charge it.

If your battery fails to charge after getting the new adapter, then your battery has suffered damage from being allowed to fully discharge and remain that way for a long period of time.

Bruce.

#8 mandymariee

mandymariee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2010 - 05:11 PM

Well, we will soon find out.. I guess I'll just get the A/C adapter, if that doesn't work, I'll get a battery...and if both of those don't work, I'll be stumped and on here asking questions again (lol)

Thanks for all your help. :thumbsup:

#9 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2010 - 06:34 PM

You are very much welcomed for the help you have recieved here. :thumbsup:

That is what Bleepingcomputer.com is all about...people helping people. :flowers:

Bruce.

#10 strolln

strolln

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2010 - 08:24 PM

In the future, don't plug in AC adapters from other laptops without checking the voltage and polarity first because if the voltage is too high or the polarity is reversed you could damage your computer. :thumbsup:

#11 mandymariee

mandymariee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2010 - 09:33 PM

In the future, don't plug in AC adapters from other laptops without checking the voltage and polarity first because if the voltage is too high or the polarity is reversed you could damage your computer. :thumbsup:

Yeah, I figured that out later on, when I started doing research into my problem. lol. Lesson Learned.

Thanks, again :flowers:

#12 strolln

strolln

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2010 - 09:38 AM

I hope when you get the new adapter you will post back and let us know if that solved your problem.

#13 mandymariee

mandymariee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2010 - 01:38 PM

I hope when you get the new adapter you will post back and let us know if that solved your problem.

Planned on it :thumbsup:

I got the new adapter.. did not solve the problem... does that mean I have to try and get a battery now? *sigh*

And what if THAT doesn't work?

#14 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 28 July 2010 - 04:09 PM

The easiest ways and safety (for make sure is the battery is the problem)...try to find any family, friend or relation that have Dell Latitude D810 like you do...borrow for 10-20 minutes to test plug their battery on your laptop...
if you cannot find it...try to find computer shop near you that sell that battery...bring your laptop and tell them your problem and tell them that you want to buy it if the battery is the problem...and you asked them to test it...
if in near you have Dell service center...you could bring it to them...and told that you want to test your battery...

just a litle test...just to make sure you dont waste you money :D

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#15 mandymariee

mandymariee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2010 - 05:39 PM

I just realized - wasn't thinking - it can't be my battery.

When I plug in my computer through the A/C adapter, with no battery in, it still does nothing.

Do you think its the DC jack?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users