Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random pop ups for X.P

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Diddy_bow

Diddy_bow

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 PM

Posted 21 July 2010 - 06:49 PM

Hiya

Ive been getting a lot of random pop ups latley, seemingly starting then giving me one every few minutes then stopping again for long periods. They are for the usual rubbish "myoffers.co.uk" and internet games.

When it first happend my anti Virus, AVG, picked up a whole load of things it called "Trojanhorseclicker.AKHT. It done this twice and now there are about 20+ of them in the Virus vault coming from folders called C:\documents and settings\gerard\local settings\temp\ctv14826.exe With that 5 digit number being different for each one. They are all like this with the exception of the last few AVG called "Trojan Horse Cryptic" all also in the temp folder except with the names "loader.exe." 10485109.exe" "smss.exe" and one in application data\sun\java\deployment\cache\6.0\36. The pop ups dont always appear when browsing, some just come up when my computer is doing nothing as well. These was also one sound file that played on its own advertising toilet cleaner i think :flowers:. With no associated pop up that could have been playing it.

I ran a virus scan with AVG which found nothing and Malewarebytes also found nothing. (Although this program wont let me update for some reason.)

Looking for how i can stop the pop ups and these bursts of alerts to AVG. Here is some Info:

*Im using windows XP
*I use AVG free version which is fully updated.
*I use google chrome, the pop ups are in i.e though.
*I have run Malewarebytes which found nothing.

Any and all help is appreciated :thumbsup:

Edited by hamluis, 21 July 2010 - 06:57 PM.
Moved from XP to more appropriate Am I Infected forum ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 PM

Posted 21 July 2010 - 06:56 PM

Are you using IE's popup blocker?

Louis

#3 Diddy_bow

Diddy_bow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2010 - 07:20 PM

Are you using IE's popup blocker?

Louis

Well its not I.E that i use it's chrome, a quick check revealed it was off though. I turned it on for good measure but just received another audio advert :thumbsup:.

#4 mikieut

mikieut

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 PM

Posted 21 July 2010 - 09:51 PM

I have fixed problems similar to this by doing a system restore to a time previous to the problems. It might be worth a try.

#5 Diddy_bow

Diddy_bow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2010 - 06:04 PM

I have fixed problems similar to this by doing a system restore to a time previous to the problems. It might be worth a try.

Probably worth a shot, i haven't found any other way to fix this. Running Maleware bytes found three things this time but deleting them and the ads are still coming :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users