Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

RAM Frequency is incorrect in the BIOS

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Steadyhndz

Steadyhndz

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 21 July 2010 - 05:36 PM

So the entire time I've had this computer the RAM frequency is always shown wrong in the BIOS. I don't know much about RAM (I'm still learning) and in CPU-Z and even the BIOS it always said the RAM was running at 400MHz, when on each stick of RAM it said DDR2 800mhz, I never really bothered with it because I had my hopes up of buying DDR3 in the near future...6 months later, I finally got some new hardware. I got a new CPU, new RAM, a new motherboard and I can't wait to get it to work. (Right now I can't do anything because when Windows loads I get a blue screen, and a few people told me it's probably because I got so much new hardware (especially the motherboard) that the OS I have right now isn't recognizing it properly. So tonight I'm getting a Windows 7 disc (first time using Windows 7, yay)

The first day I put all of this stuff in I was going through the BIOS and the ram frequency was reading at 667mhz...and now I'm really mad, this RAM is supposed to run at 1600Mhz. How can I fix this?
I have the DDR3 G.Skill 4GB RAM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...1-277-_-Product

so how can I fix this (tonight I should have Windows installed so if I need to do it from Windows I can do that tonight)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813157195
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...3-809-_-Product

those are the other parts I got as well.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2010 - 06:02 PM

For that board...appears to me that if you are running DDR3 with a clock speed of 1600...your clock speed in the BIOS should be 533 (times 3).

Where did you get this 667 reading from?

Regarding your former RAM...since it was DDR2, it would be 400 times 2 for RAM speed.

If this is wrong, someone will correct me :thumbsup:.

Louis

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 AM

Posted 21 July 2010 - 06:16 PM

As hamluis has said, with the original DDR2, the clock speed is half the DDR transfer rate, as DDR2 double-clocks data transfers (where the 2 comes from). So DDR2-800 is clocked at 400MHz.

For the Phenom, an AMD cpu with on-chip memory controllers runs the memory clock by dividing frequency down from the CPU clock, so the ratio is fixed and determined by the CPU. DDR3 also double-clocks like DDR2 (other enhancements earn the "3" status) so the DDR3-1333 rate that this CPU runs the memory means the clock is 667MHz (3GHz CPU clock/4.5).

Having DDR3-1600 RAM fitted would allow for potential overclocking. Your CPU is divider locked, so overclocking can only be done by increasing clock speed, which will overclock both CPU and memory.

Edited by Platypus, 21 July 2010 - 06:20 PM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 Steadyhndz

Steadyhndz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2010 - 06:22 PM

Some people said that I could possibly be able to set the DRAM manually to 1600 each stick like it's supposed to be.

and I got the 667 reading from the BIOS. If I can't do it manually I'll come back here and see if anyone can help me step by step

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,716 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2010 - 07:11 PM

Correction, disregard my reference to DRAM clock derivation, it was the previous K8 generation that did that.

You would need to change a FSB:RAM clock ratio to achieve an 800MHz memory clock - not sure exactly what the BIOS on that board will call the setting option. (Edit: Actually it is set directly in the OC Tweaker section, in the memory configuration select 800MHz as the memory clock rate.)

Edited by Platypus, 21 July 2010 - 07:21 PM.

#6 Steadyhndz

Steadyhndz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2010 - 01:00 AM

your saying 800mhz, but this RAM is designed to run at 1600

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,716 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2010 - 03:36 AM

Yes, as already explained, DDR2 and DDR3 double-clock, so the memory bus clock rate is 800MHz, the effective data clock rate is 1600MHz.

You will have clock rate choices of 400, 533, 667 and 800 MHz.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users