Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Maybe a bad IDE controller?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Radical Librarian

Radical Librarian

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 PM

Posted 21 July 2010 - 05:35 PM

Hey guys, first post. I was going to put this in the XP forum, but it isn't an operating system issue- I don't think.

My friend just gave me a Dimension 4550, I am using an old 320GB WD IDE drive because he didn't give me one with the machine.

I boot up from the cd no problem, windows installs the first half, (when it leaves the ini file on the HD). However when I reboot, expecting the normal windows splash screen beginning the rest of the installation , (after bypassing "Press any key to boot from cd") nothing happens. The system doesn't freeze, keyboard responds.

I have tried changing cables, changing boot priorities, jumpers, about 30 different ram sticks and configurations, different video cards, a different CD drive, a different hard drive, different windows disk, even a hard drive with windows on it from the same model, it doesn't boot, just stays at the last dot of the "press any key" prompt. The four diagnostic lights on the back are all yellow, the light in the front is green. Ive done a dell hardware check, no errors. When I turn the machine on without a cd drive, it says there are unconfigured bios settings, despite going into the bios, setting the right dates, loading defaults, etc.

I have done this installation quite literally a couple hundred times on all sorts of machines, and it always ends up being a little detail on a machine. A jumper or bios setting, or a cable. I have spent hours checking this over and cannot find an error at all.

Thanks in advance, Jesse

Edited by Radical Librarian, 21 July 2010 - 05:40 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 PM

Posted 21 July 2010 - 05:48 PM

What is the media being used for this attempted install?

Restore/recovery/OEM CDs?

Louis

#3 Radical Librarian

Radical Librarian
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2010 - 07:33 PM

Sometimes I get a bad board message from the diagnostic leds, sometimes not.

Edited by Radical Librarian, 21 July 2010 - 07:52 PM.

#4 Radical Librarian

Radical Librarian
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2010 - 07:51 PM

OEM CDs.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2010 - 08:05 PM

Do you mean the CDs which were originally issued with that system...or some CDs which you happened to have from a current/previous system you own/owned?

CDs from which OEM, please?

Louis

#6 Radical Librarian

Radical Librarian
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2010 - 01:57 PM

CDs from dell, that came with this machine.

Jesse

Edited by Radical Librarian, 26 July 2010 - 01:57 PM.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2010 - 04:38 PM

Consult the previous owner :thumbsup:, he should have a clue.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users