Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Migrating from a Palm TX

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Jaguar45

Jaguar45

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 PM

Posted 21 July 2010 - 04:52 PM

Hello,
I'm helping my mother with some technical things (a story common to users on these boards, I'm sure), and one of them is the question of moving forward with her Palm. Right now she has two Palm TX PDAs (in case one dies) and uses them for two main purposes: 1) she uses the Contacts as a database for info of all types, 2) she uses a number of third-party applications such as Vindigo, Apothecary, MobilePDR, Fodor's and other medical and travel stuff. The TXes are running Palm OS Garnet 5.4.9.

The biggest issue is migrating the Contacts database - she has over 5000 entries, some of which are the standard Name, Address, Phone Number type entries, while others are notes to herself such as her Safeway Rewards account number or the instructions on how to get to the airport in San Francisco, and some combine contact info with notes on the medications of her patients. Additionally, the contacts are separated into one of twenty or so categories. She has a Blackberry, and although the data has been moved to it, she hates its contact database and no matter how we transferred the contacts (CSV, MS Conduits sync, 3rd-party application) she has always been dissatisfied with the results.

The point of that long-winded 2nd paragraph was to set up this question: Does anyone know how easy the migration of data is to the new Palm WebOS? Does it still use the Palm Desktop software? (Which is miles better than Outlook, in both her and my own opinions.) Also, regarding applications, is there emulation of the old OS, thus allowing use of these apps, or will she need to replace them all?

Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users