Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adobe Reader 9.3 Problem: 212 MB

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jackz4000

jackz4000

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 21 July 2010 - 04:36 PM

Last week I uninstalled my old Adobe Reader at Control Panel. I installed the new Adobe 9.3 version which was supposedly a 50MB file. Instead my Programs lists it as a 212MB file which is too resource heavy for me since I only occasionally use PDF. Also on C Drive I found Adobe Acrobat 7.0 set-up files (Rdrbig708) at 35MB which I thought were uninstalled at Control Panel some time ago.

Adobe 7.0 is not listed at CP software uninstall? Best way to uninstall it?

9.3 I can uninstall at CP software uninstall.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,424 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 PM

Posted 21 July 2010 - 06:39 PM

I use Sumatra as a substitute for Acrobat Reader:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sumatra_PDF

Is the Acrobat file simply a single 35MB installer (.exe file)? If there is no longer an Acrobat 7.0 in Start/Programs, the installer should be able to just be deleted.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 jackz4000

jackz4000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2010 - 09:10 AM

The old Acrobat 7.0 were set-up files of 35MB which never uninstalled and I simply deleted them. Thanks for the Sumatra link. I was also thinking of Foxit.

#4 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 AM

Posted 22 July 2010 - 11:00 AM

You might want to pass on Foxit. They will want you to add 27 toolbars upon installation.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 AM

Posted 22 July 2010 - 11:04 AM

In all fairness to Foxit...none of those toolbars need to be installed. They only install when one does not elect to do the custom install...just as most software will install all sorts of "options" if the user doesn't investigate configuration options. MS Office is the classic example I can think of.

Louis

#6 jackz4000

jackz4000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2010 - 12:04 PM

Yes, I read about only using Custom on Foxit. I think some installed xtra junk. Anyway I installed a different program and am using PDF X-Change Viewer which is a nice lightweight PDF program (22MB) vs Adobe at 212MB with security probs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users