Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wiped out hard drive after Win32 Generic Host Problem

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jeffm777

jeffm777

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 21 July 2010 - 04:20 PM

My sister called earlier in a panic cause her laptop was showing "error loading operating system". She said she received a "Win32 Generic Host error" while online so she closed out tht error, ran Microsoft Security Essentials which found a problem and prompted her for a reboot and after she rebooted, the error loading operating system appeared.

She brought me her laptop and I popped in the XP Pro installation CD and tried to run a recovery but it never asked for the installation I wanted to repair which I thought was odd. Instead, it brought up the c prompt. I tried checking the contents of the c drive (using DIR) and it returned "An error occured during directory enumeration".

So, I removed her hard drive and slaved it in a desktop using a USB/SATA adapter. When I tried to browse the drive, it said the drive wasn't formatted.

Has anyone seen this before? It's hard to believe that a virus scan and reboot would wipe out a drive. I've seen a system file get quaranted off and cause an invalid system file error when rebooting but never anything like this.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,876 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2010 - 04:54 PM

I think your premises...are awry.

Error loading operating system...can mean various things. It's an indication that something is wrong with the partition, the drive, the boot structure, or the boot option settings (generally speaking).

When a hard drive which has been formatted...is seen as a drive which is not formatted...that's usually an indication that the file system (NTFS) has a problem. The problem could be caused by the structure of the hard drive or the file system could be damaged or other key system files could be damaged...the result is that the partition can no longer be recognized by the system. Hence, a user may receive messages indicating that the hard drive needs to be formatted and has no recognized partition.

All of this has nothing to do with a virus scan...it happens routinely enough that it's well documented, if not understood.

You can try data-recovery software to see if it is able to see files on the drive. If so, I suggest moving any value files...before attempting any trouble-shooting on the drive.

Louis

#3 jeffm777

jeffm777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2010 - 07:22 AM

Thanks. A bad boot sector never crossed my mind. I downloaded TestDisk and PhotoRec from here --> http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Download and I'm currently restoring her files to my computer. Thanks for the suggestion! She's going to be thrilled!!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users