Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

antivirus for 98

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 wordmaster

wordmaster

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 AM

Posted 21 July 2010 - 03:28 PM

What free antivirus program is still available for 98SE? Thank you for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 PM

Posted 21 July 2010 - 10:41 PM

From free programs, I believe, Avira and AVG still support Win 98.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 22 July 2010 - 06:50 AM

What free antivirus program is still available for 98SE? Thank you for your help.

I use Avast! Home Edition 4.8.1368 this is the last version what will work on Win9x/ME. :thumbsup:

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 PM

Posted 22 July 2010 - 05:15 PM

Are you still getting updates for 4.8?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2010 - 12:09 PM

Are you still getting updates for 4.8?

I'm not sure I don't use the WinME that much plus I haven't bother getting a wifi card to get the updates. :thumbsup:

Keith

#6 os2sam

os2sam

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 AM

Posted 27 July 2010 - 11:16 AM

I'm in the same boat and would like to know if there are still any ativirus programs that are still getting updates, free or pay. I still have a a couple Win98 machines around for some older games that I like playing with my son. Also I have a couple friends that still use 98 for various things and I do their computer/network support.

For my home use, I'm in the process of installing the Astaro Security Gateway. It has Virus, Malware and exploit detection and removal and will replace my router. I feel better about putting my older machines behind this but I still wouldn't recommend ever browsing the internet with an unprotected 95/98/ME machine even with the ASG in place. I will probably static IP my 98 machines and leave the gateway and DSN entries blank that way they can still be on my peer to peer network but not on the internet.
My $0.02 worth,
Sam

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,939 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2010 - 11:51 AM

ClamWin Free Antivirus - ClamWin Portable <- useful if you do not have an anti-virus and cannot install one
-- does not include an on-access real-time scanner; You need to manually scan a file in order to detect a virus or spyware
-- ClamWin has partnered with Ask.com and bundles the Ask Toolbar (optional) with the ClamWin setup file.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#8 os2sam

os2sam

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2010 - 12:37 PM

So the ClamWin Portable is like a Technician Toolkit App that doesn't need to be installed?

Vexira Antivirus used to have a bootable CD/Floppy set that would boot a Linux Distro and could scan any filesystem for virus's and remove them. I have been looking for something along those lines since Vexira discontinued that.
Sam

#9 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2010 - 03:24 PM

As quietman7 says ClamWin is still available as a free virus checker. I tried it for a couple of months, the only thing against it is it doesn't have a resident/real-time scanner as most of the other systems do. That means if you download anything just right-click on it and scan it with ClamWin before you use it. :thumbsup:

Keith

#10 os2sam

os2sam

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2010 - 03:39 PM

Ah, thanks for clarifying the obvious :thumbsup:
Sam

#11 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England

Posted 04 September 2010 - 12:24 PM

Just a word about ClamWin though. I've heard that it's really flakey, can't be trusted, and that it causes a lot of false positives. I'm not sure if that's due to it's open source nature or what, but it's just what I heard. I've never used it, but my friend does. He says that it's good, but at the same time, security's not exactly at the top of his list like it's at the top of mine. Some people in my group think that I need to actually take it down a notch with security. One buddy of mine says that I spend too much time protecting myself that I don't have a life. And why on earth are you folks stil using Windows 98? Why sue something so outdated?

Chromebuster

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users