Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can multiple Anti-malware programs harm your computer?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Hotter Than July

Hotter Than July

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 21 July 2010 - 01:54 PM

I know that having multiple antivirus programs can harm your computer because of RAM being eaten up, false positives, and all thatbad stuff, but I mean like Spybot Search and Destroy and Malwarebytes. Also, if it is harmful to keep programs like DDS, GMER, and ComboFix without using them (I have ComboFix saved to the desktop just in case I need it, I have NOT used it nor intend on using it unless instructed to by someone trained in its use)
"Snake, you have to use the control panel."

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,762 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 AM

Posted 21 July 2010 - 04:05 PM

Hello, no they will not physically harm the pC. Use only One AV,Firewall and Antimalware actively. keep the rest for on demans scanning. They need to be updated prior to a scan.
Remove Vundofix it is outdated. MBam is batter than that. Remove DDS, GMER, and ComboFix. These tools should be downloaded fresh at each use.

No one should be using ComboFix unless specifically instructed to do so by a Malware Removal Expert who can interpret the logs. It is a powerful tool intended by its creator to be "used under the guidance and supervision of an expert. Using this tool incorrectly could lead to disastrous problems with your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. Please read the pinned topic ComboFix usage, Questions, Help? - Look here.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Hotter Than July

Hotter Than July
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2010 - 04:37 PM

thank you (I will remove VundoFix, DDS, GMER, and Combofix), but I didn't mean as in physical harm, I meant as in terms of data loss and errors

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,762 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 AM

Posted 21 July 2010 - 07:03 PM

Other than the mentioned false positives, Or if you were to remove something found in DDS or Gmer that may not need to go because it was ran without using certain prior settings. For example you may have needed to turn off your Av before running Gmer. It may then find something snd you may remove thar data.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 the dummy

the dummy

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 PM

Posted 21 July 2010 - 07:41 PM

You can use an a/v combined with immunet 2.0 & threatfire plus your firewall to make for a more secure pc.

#6 Hotter Than July

Hotter Than July
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2010 - 07:47 PM

What about using a third-party firewall along with Antivirus and Anti-malware? I always manage a trojan or two on my computer.

#7 the dummy

the dummy

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2010 - 07:59 PM

If your getting infected often you need to add sanboxie and configure it as per their web site suggests.
A firewall with hips may help, but if you are letting them in you need to change your set up or where you go on the web.
Add the free versions of superantispyware & malwarebytes for on demand cleanning only.

#8 Hotter Than July

Hotter Than July
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2010 - 09:51 PM

I recently changed my settings to prompt me for all installations, ActiveX controls, and Scripts, and so far I haven't run into many issues, I just want to make sure I don't repeat major problems I've had in the past. The very first time any anti-ANYTHING software got on my laptop- hooboy you shoulda seen it I had my freind on the phone telling her progressively how much worse it got. I didn't even get to run Malwarebytes- all I ran was Spybot Search & Destroy and I came up with over 230 entries, and 21 of them were trojans.

#9 the dummy

the dummy

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2010 - 10:09 PM

Spybot is on the way out as of recently. I would recommend superantispyware and malwarebytes.

#10 Hotter Than July

Hotter Than July
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2010 - 10:18 PM

I have the portable launcher for Superantispyware and have Malwarebytes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users